Cyclists "urged to get insurance"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
At least you know what's in a typical policy. That's why I suggested that folk should read them and talk to their insurers if the cover doesn't suit. I, myself, had to specify a couple of my bikes because the policy limit was exceeded. However, even with the AP, I was happy with the deal I got.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
How ironic , i just opened the web site and before i could log in there was an advert for Nation Accident Helpline , no win no fee website ,, looks like Cycle Chat is also on the gravy train taking money from the leeches.

Bicycle

I have all risks theft cover for my bicycles as a part of my home and contents cover.

It has never occured to me to buy anything more.

Someone wrote earlier in the thread that riding without 3P insurance is bonkers.

So (I imagine) is cooking with a tea cosy on your head while singing Albanian folk songs.

I ride without 3P insurance, often wear a tea cosy when cooking and frequently sing Balkan folk songs.

I don't take insurance very seriously. I insure my car and my home and my life, but really don't want to insure anything else.

Riding without 3P insurance isn't really bonkers, it's just a choiice many people don't take very seriously.

abo

Compulsory? Hmm I'm not sure my kids will be keen paying for that out of their pocket money :whistle:

To be fair my five year old knocked a wing mirror off when they rode past a car parked on the path the other day (they were riding on the path, the school run area is too high-pressure for a 5 year old i think). It did clip back on (despite the owner saying it wouldn't, maybe they didn't realise I'm a petrolhead too...) but if the thing had been broken then it could have caused issues. Though to be honest I'd have just bollocked them for parking on the path lol

snailracer

Über Member

As for the people who bemoan the compulsion of the likes of Motor Insurance; are they for real? Who do they think would pick up the bill for the carnage on our roads? People would be left to fend for themselves and the days of the workhouse would see an unwelcome return. Compulsory insurance only exists in areas where the vulnerable are at the mercy of others on a large scale - Motor Insurance and Employers Liability insurance - and the need for financial provision is great. To bemoan that is to admit a personal uncaring attitude towards the misfiortune of others on the basis that it can't happen to you; it can, and it may!
That argument would also apply to pedestrians, no? Are you saying compulsory TP insurance for absolutely everyone is a good thing?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
So has anyone actually been blamed for an accident and had a claim against them?
Is cycling TP insurance like insurance for alien abduction?
(I am insured through BTF(Triathlon Fed) and Mrs Gere is insured through CTC for cycling, the aliens can have me) .

Blue

Legendary Member
I have all risks theft cover for my bicycles as a part of my home and contents cover.

It has never occured to me to buy anything more.

Someone wrote earlier in the thread that riding without 3P insurance is bonkers.

So (I imagine) is cooking with a tea cosy on your head while singing Albanian folk songs.

I ride without 3P insurance, often wear a tea cosy when cooking and frequently sing Balkan folk songs.

I don't take insurance very seriously. I insure my car and my home and my life, but really don't want to insure anything else.

Riding without 3P insurance isn't really bonkers, it's just a choiice many people don't take very seriously.

What you describe in your 4th point is considered normal in my home!!

Getting on to the insurance, if you have home insurance you will probably find that you have free TP insurance thrown in. No need to worry about it. Just check the policies you already have.

Bicycle

What you describe in your 4th point is considered normal in my home!!

Getting on to the insurance, if you have home insurance you will probably find that you have free TP insurance thrown in. No need to worry about it. Just check the policies you already have.

Right now I have Qika e Ulpianes going through my head, although I'm not sure that is a true folk song.

It may be more like what the western Balkan Slavs used to refer to a Turbo Folk.

As to insurance... Sorry, I can't think straight... this tune's just going round and round.

In my kitchen the Tea Cosy is the Hat of Authority when I wear it. If anyone else wears it, it is frankly childish.

Blue

Legendary Member
That argument would also apply to pedestrians, no? Are you saying compulsory TP insurance for absolutely everyone is a good thing?

If you have Home Contents insurance you should find(check your policy) that you have automatic TP insurance that will cover liabilities while walking as well as cycling.

You may feel that the cover is OTT, however, cause a car accident while cycling, jaywalking etc and you will be glad of the cover. I can assure you it does happen.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that insurance should be compulsory in any area where there is not significant risk, such as cycling or walking. However, where it is compulsory, there are very good reasons for the compulsion.

I don't think for a single moment that compulsory PL cover for cyclists, or pedestrians, will ever become a reality. My posts have been intended to reassure CC members that they will most likely already have, free of cost, the insurance that was suggested as a good idea by the MIB and ABI.

Blue

Legendary Member
So has anyone actually been blamed for an accident and had a claim against them?
Is cycling TP insurance like insurance for alien abduction?
(I am insured through BTF(Triathlon Fed) and Mrs Gere is insured through CTC for cycling, the aliens can have me) .

Do you realy think that cyclists have never caused accidents? I can't recall the name of the case, but there was one in England a couple of years ago where a cyclist was held responsible for killing a pedestrian. With all the pavement, no lights at night and RLJ cyclists around I'm sure claims either have, or will be made.
I am personally aware of a very experienced, competitive, cyclist who caused a crash by pulling out in front of a car at a junction. The cyclist paid the ultimate price. I don't know what claims were made against his estate, however, I'm sure his widow was glad of the assistance of his insurers. Don't under-estimate the problems that may arise while you use our congested roads.

Davidc

Guru
I'm always bemused by these articles.

Some figures given a few years back by a BBC programme (don't still have details unfortunately) for the proportions of adult cyclists without 3rd party insurance showed that over 10 times that proportion of motorists, for whom it's compulsory, were uninsured! As commented above perhaps compulsion would mean insurance companies could charge us big premiums instead of next to nothing.

I agree with Dell, not having 3rd party insurance is insane. Same goes if you're a pedestrian, horse rider, or doing anything else that could affect someone else.

The reason insurance is so common is that most (but by no means all) household policies provide it, for all household members. Very useful it is too when one of your children rides their bike (in 1987) into the side of a brand new BMW M3 causing £250 worth of damage. The fact that the child is only 8 years old doesn't stop you from being liable.

My present household policy covers all of our bikes (but with a £100 excess for theft so only one covered for that!). That includes away from home anywhere in mainland UK. The 3rd party insurance part also definitely covers cycling. It's worth checking though. The previous one didn't cover away from home risks, apart from 3rd party, unless extra money went their way.

I also get 3rd party from CTC so who pays if I need it I don't know.

Mozzy

Right now I have Qika e Ulpianes going through my head, although I'm not sure that is a true folk song.

It may be more like what the western Balkan Slavs used to refer to a Turbo Folk.

As to insurance... Sorry, I can't think straight... this tune's just going round and round.

In my kitchen the Tea Cosy is the Hat of Authority when I wear it. If anyone else wears it, it is frankly childish.
Your lucky; I heard the Adams Family theme today and that is well and truly stuck in my bonce:smile:

Oh I got some TP insurance. £20 with two mil cover; at least I feel comfy with the knowledge I have some degree of professional insurance.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I just rang my home insurance company (Churchill) who confirmed as long as I wasn't driving a motor vehicle I am covered for 3rd party public liability,even when riding a bicycle :smile:

Both my bikes are also covered with them for theft and acccidental damage at home and away,think I paid £20.00 extra

Top Bottom