Cyclists urged to slow in parks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solgursky

Jenny Seagrove was just on BBC London news, making it clear she supported cyclists. She used to be Michael Winner's girlfriend and will be in his will cos she never kissed and told. One ex Grange Hill actress sold her story for about £20k and lost out on loads more had she kept quiet, Winner made clear.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm looking forward to the story that the BBC undoubtedly has waiting in the wings, "Drivers Urged Not to Overtake too Close, Obey Traffic Law Once in a Bloody While, Look Beyond the End of their Bonnet Occasionally".

domtyler

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']My commute takes me thru' the park. On the road I ride like a demon; in the park I keep below about 10mph at all times, and anytime I'm anywhere near a human bean, dog, duck or even squirrel, I slow to walking speed or less.[/QUOTE]

I find that most human beans are also runners, they don't have a care in the world and stringing up would be too good. ;)

I walk the dog on a shared use path. I've taught him to sit and stay on command, wherever he is and use this when I see a bike approaching, though he doesn't always plonk his backside in exactly the right place, he at least keeps still.

Most cyclists are very polite, slow down and say thank you. You get the occasional one who just looks like it's only to be expected and the even more occasional one who shouts at you to 'excuse me' and speeds past way too fast.

Animals are unpredictable though even when trained, so slowing down is sensible.

bryce

John the Monkey said:
I don't know why this is - whether these are folk that buy into the whole "cyclist as urban warrior" thing, whether they think that's what you're supposed to do, or whether it's some sort of pre-emptive aggression aimed at other road users.

Completely agree (I've made this point various times) although I've stopped being outwardly friendly to most other commuter cyclists in London, sad but many of them in my experience are eejits who cause danger to themselves and others. I see acts of idiocy daily - pretty much at most junctions.

It almost makes me dislike cycling - although a weekend 60 miler in the Surrey Hills soon sorts that.

PeteinLadywell

I'm with the people who say that cyclists should ride slowly when in the park, to do otherwise is just daft. If you do hit a dog it won't be totally your fault, but I'm sure you would still rather not hit a dog and the best way to avoid this is to go at a speed that allows you to stop instead. Obviously.

Top Bottom