Cyclists v POBs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
What is the difference between cyclists and POBs? Reading the article on the GMTV thread, it makes no distinction aside from calling RLJers "rogue cyclists".

Obviously on here we would all classify ourselves as cyclists because that is what we enjoy, and identify Pedestrians On Bikes by their misdemeanours or possibly even equipment. However, the support of RLJing by many blurs the boundaries between a POB and a cyclist to the extent that anybody riding two wheels is labelled as a miscreant. Naturally, I resent this categorisation as someone who rarely rides in built up areas and adheres to the rules of the road (as a car should) when I am.

Sitting here, I am even struggling to define my own list for what a POB is, as so many things can be marked against "cyclists" as well:
Perhaps RLJing, no helmet, no lights, dark clothing, pavement riding, poor use of gears, flat pedals, unserviced bikes, and cycling slowly and erratically.

There is a thread on BR where someone says we just use it as a derogatory term for anyone who we consider inferior? I would like to think that people on bikes should stick together when being classed as traffic, but then I don't want the negative connotations stuck against me (and a registration plate).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Anyone riding a bike is a cyclist. I don't like POB because it's snobbery, pure and simple. There are just good cyclists and irresponsible ones, and everything in between.

Chris James

Über Member
Will1985 said:
Perhaps ..., no helmet,

Oh dear. I would have thought a poorly fitted helmet at jaunty angle is as good as indicator.

Anyway, I agree with bentMikey. We are all cyclists. There are plenty fo people on expesnive road bikes in all the gear who RLJ and who cycle slowly and erratically.

col

Legendary Member
I think you can call those teenage ,or they tend to be,chav types,with baseball cap ,fag in mouth,seat as low as it will go,biking around the local town centre,and paths,skidding and wheelying,in gangs,pobs.Because thats probably what they are,just pedestrians using bikes to knock about with,they dont do anything safely,normally weaving in and out of people or vehicles,cracking a few cans with their mates,on the phone while cycling,its just a quicker way of getting about for them,instead of walking.

Pete

Ditto (well some of that: don't cycle 600 a month, lucky if I manage half that). Don't wear any sort of cycle kit for the commute. Don't wear helmet. Flat pedals (well if you mean by that rat-traps with toeclips, because that's what I use). So where do I fit in?

'Snobbery'? Maybe BM is right. I use the abbreviation POB (which I only learnt of - incidentally, like so many other expressions - from these forums) when I want to refer to a cyclist of whose conduct I disapprove. It's a sort of coded message you see. Simple as that.

Dave5N

Über Member
col said:
I think you can call those teenage ,or they tend to be,chav types,with baseball cap ,fag in mouth,seat as low as it will go,biking around the local town centre,and paths,skidding and wheelying,in gangs,pobs.Because thats probably what they are,just pedestrians using bikes to knock about with,they dont do anything safely,normally weaving in and out of people or vehicles,cracking a few cans with their mates,on the phone while cycling,its just a quicker way of getting about for them,instead of walking.

Were you never young?

If you cycle, you're a cyclist.

Dave5N

Über Member
col said:

Yep. Is for me too.

col

Legendary Member
Pete said:
Ditto (well some of that: don't cycle 600 a month, lucky if I manage half that). Don't wear any sort of cycle kit for the commute. Don't wear helmet. Flat pedals (well if you mean by that rat-traps with toeclips, because that's what I use). So where do I fit in?

'Snobbery'? Maybe BM is right. I use the abbreviation POB (which I only learnt of - incidentally, like so many other expressions - from these forums) when I want to refer to a cyclist of whose conduct I disapprove. It's a sort of coded message you see. Simple as that.

Its on here i learned the POB abreviation,but in the minority it seems to be an apt description,snobbery?No,descriptive yes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh...I'm a posh snob then........ all the gear....or a poseur !

The term of POB, I use it for someone who has no clue about how to ride safely and with respect for other road and pavement users.

Doesn't matter if someone doesn't have all the 'gear' - so long as they know how to ride properly.

col

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
Were you never young?

If you cycle, you're a cyclist.

Whats if i was young got to do with it? I gave a description of pobs,as was asked?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm pretty POB I reckon.

No helmet: Uh huh.
Dark clothing: sometimes
Flat pedals: sometimes
Unserviced bikes: I don't care much for the shopping bike.
Cycling slowly and erratically: I'm tired out come friday ferchrissakes

Dave5N

Über Member
col said:

Dave5N said:
Yep. Is for me too.

col said:
For me too.your point?

So are you a POB?

As I said, if you cycle, you're a cyclist. This POB business is tribal defensive nonsense.

Top Bottom