Cyclo-cross bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

i went along to the local club this evening and i was told that a cyclo-cross bike would be better for me because it would allow me to do both road and cyclo-cross with the simple swap of tyres. back up to this is that the road bike do not have the brake clearances to allow you to put on slim knobblies, whereas with a cyclo-cross bike it would really mater which ones you put on. or should i just stick to buying a road only bike and give cyclo-cross a miss??

1. is this correct??
2. what bike can i get for aorund £300 that would be any good.

RedBike

At £300 i'm afraid you're looking at the second-hand market.

Cyclo-x bikes are slightly slower on the road (even with thin slick tyres) than a road bike; but there isn't much in it. Basically you're sat higher up on a cyclo-x bike so they don't corner as well and you're not as areodynamic. - Basically you'll only notice the difference when really pushing it!

Cyclo-x is a great intro to racing. It's relatively cheap and open to riders of all abilities.

Another option would be a cheap hybrid. officially they're not allowed in CX races; but at club level I seriously doubt anyone would mind. They will be slower than a CX bike. But on the plus side you should be able to get one new for £300

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
That would be if you wanted to get into Cyclocross. If you just want to stick to road biking then i cant see the reason to have a cyclocross bike.
If you join the club and get to know the people, you might find one has an old cyclocross frame tucked away that you can borrow/buy to use for the events.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

I was lookin at them cus sumone sed at the club come winter they all will be doing CX and so was advised i should get a CX and put slicks on for the summer and the slim knobblies on for the winter.

but now i have changedby mind and gone back to looking at road bikes.

so i guess i have just rendered this thread useless, thanks for the input though guys!!

RedBike

Cyclo-x is a great intro into bike racing. Unlike road racing or MTBing you don't need 'all the gear' to be competative.

The races are lapped based so you'll never be left behind no matter how slow you are to begin with. (With road racing if you can't keep up then your race is over.)

The races are relatively cheap. They in vary cost but your normally only talking about £10 (Less for juniors).

You could easily branch out into either road racing or MTBing.

Dave5N

Über Member
Talk to the coaches and the 'cross riders at Redditch. It's a good suggestion - We use 'cross bikes on the road all the time.

£300 is a lot of money but might not get you what you want. Ask the club to help you find a good deal secondhand.

Do you know what size you need? Post it here and we can all keep an eye out for you.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Thats where being in a club and knowing the people helps;)
A guy in the club has said if i want to borrow and use this old cyclocross frame he has then its no problem.
He also has this garage packed full of stuff for bikes, some of it new. And he's charged me little for some good second hand/new stuff for the fixed. Aswell as giving me advice.
Other people have given me stuff for it, advice, tips and have stuff they can let me have cheap.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

so how much would it cost to build up that frame using either shimano or campag - dont really know the difference as im knew to serious cycling - with a triple chainset with 9 or 10 spd cassete with bar end shitfers etc etc

Top Bottom