Cyclocross Carbon planet or boardman team ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Narrowed down, both nice, unsure, prefer carbon for weight, anyone have either bike ?

Not for racing a multi use bike, 2nd hand about 5/ 600

Or other suggestions welcome 10 kg max

Cheers

Ajax Bay

Guru
Can you give us links for the Cardon Planet and the Boardman Team, please? So we know which bikes you're considering.

stumpy66

Veteran
I have the Boardman and have been using it on forestry trails for the last 6 weeks. It handles great but the tyres are pretty slow on road and the wheels are pretty heavy. I changed the tyres to wtb nano race 40 tyres which roll better imo than the the Schwalbe Rapid robs.

I will look to get the winter out of the stock wheels and then buy some hunt wheels.

I have carbon, titanium and steel framed bikes and was surprised how comfy the Boardman was

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-X...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-x...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman...774056?hash=item2133ab21a8:g:G2YAAOSwdJ9aGyp3

i like the planet the most for weight & looks, but the boardman for a better bike, & i can upgrade wheels later then have 2 sets for road & off road trip dependent.

Theres forme ones i like 2 & specilised diverge, but not that many bikes at 10 or under as regards kg

I've had an XLS in various guises for a couple of years and it's been great; had a lot of abuse and been used as a commuter and off-roader.

Here it is in it's current state(minus the recently bought Hope District rear light) in 1x11 mode,has previously been run as a 10-speed 105/cx set-up and 1x10 105/XT;

_NDW8162.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

Much prefer front single ring & S ram but thats cost, boardmans is about 10 kg, so were see once new year comes around, yours must be 7/800 second hand & is it 8/9 kg ?

Last edited:
Yeah what's going on with those forks? @Elybazza61 ?

Much prefer front single ring & S ram but thats cost, boardmans is about 10 kg, so were see once new year comes around, yours must be 7/800 second hand & is it 8/9 kg ?

ps your forks are weird )

Boardmans winning the race at mo for all rounder & single front disc crankys thingy me jig

Forks are these;

http://www.laufforks.com/grit/#LTRSpecs

To be honest being able to get them at trade(fish) price and a recommendation from someone who does a lot of off-road riding.

I'm really glad I got them as as well as being good off -road they do give some help on rough tarmac and paired with tubeless tyres you can bash straight over sleeping policemen.

Haven't weighed it tbh but it'll probably be around 9kg but weight isn't the be-all of it.

One thing I would say is that hydraulic discs is the way to go.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The boardman CX / older silver framed one was IMO more road anyway, came standard with a compact chain set rather than a CX one. Stick with the CX style bike, I have a Cube Pro CX and love it , most comfortable . The only let down is the heavy wheels. If I can get some cash together I upgrade them for some stiff and light for wheels .

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps a road bike, but with wider marathon plus tryes.
Look for a genesis equilibrium 20, should take 25 or 28mm tyres with a mudguard. You won’t get a disc version for £600 but might get a v brake one

Don’t get M+ Tyres unless all you care about is not having punctures , I found them heavy, sluggish and slippery on any wet (roads, leaves).

I’ve also got the silver Boardman team, perfect commuter with 32mm Durano tyres, mudguards and rack. Obviously adding kit adds weight but it still moves fine and I’m no lightweight. Brakes could be better as the BB5 need frequent adjustment

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

Found a nice team with upgraded wheels & extras, but he wants 2 much considering there 400 on offer new, & i like sram, the pro version despite 900 new, are going for sub 500 in good excellent condition, ill just have a in depth look when funds allow, theres lots of bikes i like that could cover the use.

Tempted by plus tyres, but veering away from them.

I like the idea of a road bike with bigger tyres, as theres loads to choose @ great prices, you can get carbon ones for 5/6 hundred, & also means you can go further, plus by the the time its up & running & able, the spring will be here 2 allow such journeys, also not bothered about having to tentatively traverse paths, more distance is priority.

Plus i can pretend im doing the TDF which i watch religeously every year.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
You want steel or titanium for comfort over distance (not to mention practicality) ;)

Personally I wouldn’t buy a cheap used carbon bike

Top Bottom