Cyclocross Carbon planet or boardman team ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
other suggestions welcome 10 kg max
Perhaps a road bike, but with wider marathon plus tryes.
You will struggle to get a "road bike" with M+ tyres weighing in at <10kg. Each M+ is 750g: just the tyre.
I like the idea of a road bike with bigger tyres, . . . also not bothered about having to tentatively traverse paths, more distance is priority.
So you've decided that it's not a cyclocross (style) bike you want.(?)
To fit wider tyres (ie more that 28s) on a road bike (ie drops, pseudo racing, not one designed for touring) it will have to have disc brakes. But if you're staying of unsurfaced tracks, then maybe you don't need wide tyres; then you can dispense with the (more expensive and heavier) disc brakes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Me either, but it's better than buying a cheap new carbon bike! The depreciation is already done! If bike when new is<£1000, I would be tempted to stick with aluminium frames.
I'd be more worried about invisible damage and no warranty than depreciation

I'd be more worried about invisible damage and no warranty than depreciation
Yes a little bit of skill in identifying a lemon, trust in the seller and luck would also go a long way. Lack of warranty is factored into the low low cost of the bike ;)

You're right though, I'd rather buy a steel frame used than carbon or alu, because steel can be welded back together and tubes replaced, if you care enough to do so. Alu fatigues and has a limited lifespan. So I wouldn't be buying more than a year or two old, and would be looking to see if mostly original components are still on the bike, that way you can gain an inisight into how much it has been ridden.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

All things considered, the boardman hybrid pro or similar seems best bet & a lot of bike for less than 500 est

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes a little bit of skill in identifying a lemon, trust in the seller and luck would also go a long way. Lack of warranty is factored into the low low cost of the bike ;)

You're right though, I'd rather buy a steel frame used than carbon or alu, because steel can be welded back together and tubes replaced, if you care enough to do so. Alu fatigues and has a limited lifespan. So I wouldn't be buying more than a year or two old, and would be looking to see if mostly original components are still on the bike, that way you can gain an inisight into how much it has been ridden.
I'm never going to pay to repair a steel frame, just personally much prefer the ride of my Genesis (currently on 23mm) over my alu Boardman (which has much fatter tyres) and carbon Pearson (also 23mm)

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

No, bordmans bikes are constructed from kryptonite & he can eat rok with his teeth

Top Bottom