Cyclocross- New season approaches..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What are you going to be up to?

Going to focus on my local league events (central). Just registered for the event at Blenheim palace start of October- following that there's a local-ish race for me every weekend for four weeks. Yow! then a week's break followed by another almost unbroken run of events leading into December.

jpembroke

First: WOOOHOOOOO!

Second: have put a number of western league races on the calendar: Gloucester, Stroud, Cheltenham, Bristol, and Gloucester again. I'll be pleased if I can do 5 this season. Maybe able to squeeze 1 or 2 more in.

Still hoping for that elusive top 5 place.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've little chance of a high overall position in any one race but I aim to start often and finish consistently and aim for a high league placing. If the weather if really dismal and hardly anyone turns up I might get a top ten placing (it's happened before..)

Today the first step: spent the morning dismantling the TT bike so I could stuff it into the roofspace. Got the 'cross bike out of the same hole, put it together.

jpembroke

Good work. I went out yesterday and did 4 laps of Leckhampton Hill in the wind, rain and mud. Looked like a refugee when I got back. Perfect!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just looking at Leckhampton Hill on Multimap- looks ideal.

I do a lot of my training on various bits of park and woodland close to the town centre. I will try to find a longer, quieter, bridleway loop this year. I've got a fairly handy one that's a mile and a half long but it's too popular with dog walkers- I have a rule: meet a pedestrian means dismount and run past. If there are too many of them it's really hard work. I know that's the point, but imagine a 'cross course with 30 sets of barriers.

I've yet to find a place to train nearby that has grassy bits, muddy bits and some good steep slopes of varying length all in the same place.

jpembroke

Leckhampton Hill is a very popular MTB venue with some testing manmade downhill stuff and some very steep climbs. Not necessarily ideal for 'cross training but I have a circuit that is entirely rideable (depending on conditions) around the top of the hill. It is, however, a 3 mile circuit (+ 2 miles to get up there) but I can pack everything in that i need to emulate a 'cross race: woodland singletrack, grass, tarmac, steep banks, off camber stuff, tree roots. I tend to do it in bad weather as a) it's more autumn-like, and b) not many dog walkers. Like you, I dismount when I meet walkers on the narrow bits unless they wave me on.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Got the three peaks on 26th september- managed to speak to the facilities manager of a local 12 storey office block who's letting me use thier staircases to run up and down like a nutter a couple of times a week.

After that, it's the usual mix of NWCCA races petering out in mid-december. When it gets too muddy, to be quite candid.

Sorry for my ignorance, but are there any major cyclocross comps that get televised?

Like MTBing it's not for me, but it's alright to watch.

Chrisc

Guru
Got the three peaks on 26th september- managed to speak to the facilities manager of a local 12 storey office block who's letting me use thier staircases to run up and down like a nutter a couple of times a week.

After that, it's the usual mix of NWCCA races petering out in mid-december. When it gets too muddy, to be quite candid.

Mentalist!! I've walked the 3 peaks without ever seeing one of 'em. Rain, howling wind and fog every time...I might not even have been on the right summits for all I know!
Been eyeing up cross bikes meself, hmmm.

trio25

Über Member

Nice one Danny! I'm not doing it this year but that does sound good training.

I will also hopefully make some NWCCA races, but working a lot of saturdays and sundays which makes it harder.

Top Bottom