Cyclocross- New season approaches..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Hillingdon at the weekend.

I'm waiting in the starting straight, the rider who is one place below me in the league is in front of me. I intend to mark him. We're seven or eight rows back, fifty, maybe sixty, riders ahead. It starts, I follow his wheel, then he slows- his chain is off! I change up- my chain is off!. He gets his chain back on without stopping. Mine is a mess, I stop. When I've freed it there are two or three riders behind me, eighty or more ahead. I've blown it, not even 20 seconds in. I turn onto the mud, go past a few, ride up a slope- it's been a while since I've ridden on mud; I pedal jerkily, lurching the bike forward, I get up it.

I spend a couple of laps using up energy trying to work my way up the field. There's a slippery off-camber section, I decide I can run faster than I can ride, I dismount, go to pick up the bike to shoulder it. I cock it up, somehow tripping over the bike, go down in the mud. From then on I run this section every lap, no-one overtakes me riding -and I'm useless at running. I remount and ride into deep mud. I discover it's just as easy to go straight through the middle than to ride the less cut-up stuff around the edges, maybe even less slippery. I do the jerky-lurchy pedalling thing again, the bike makes it's own course through it.

I see the man I want to mark, he's a long way ahead. I can't catch him, I'm too tired. I've just got to finish and try to fix it later, maybe he'll be sick for the next race but I'm feeling rough myself. I try to gain a few places and I do sometimes overtake riders but I'm not sure who is ahead and who I'm lapping. I go past the finish, look at the board. 5. Five! It seems unfair. My transmission has a mud and straw beard, I see another rider carrying his bike, the rear mech wrapped around the cassette. I'm jealous.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was completely spent after. I even considered getting the bus to work this morning.

My legs feel strange.

jpembroke

Race yesterday was a crushing disappointment. I was in 10th place with a big lead on the next rider back, 1.5 laps to go, feeling strong thinking "as long as I stay upright I'm going to get a good place here". That's when I punctured. Race over. I have to confess I did wipe away one or two tears of frustration. Still gutted now.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Damn, that must hurt.

Maybe for me yesterday's race wasn't so bad. Finished right in the middle of the placings but it was a joint London/ Central league event- I'm not sure how the league points are worked out under those circumstances but if it's the way I'm assuming it is then I haven't blown it entirely. There was only one central guy between me and the marked man. Of course other riders may have picked up enough points to push us both down the rankings.

Anyway I've cheered up now because I've just tracked down a copy of Ornette Coleman's album "Of Human Feelings" for $30 and it's in the post.

And I've just cheered up even more. I've gained a position in the league, and I'm only one point down on the next-placed rider.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Soggy grass today at Milton Keynes Bowl, that sort of stuff that, when cut up, makes it hard to ride up a piddling little incline if you get the line wrong. Couple of reasonable slopes to ride up, or run up. Probably not a great position but at least the slope just after the start didn't catch me out this year- had it in a nice small gear. I think I protected my league place.

I found on one heavy bit of ground I was able to make a cracking pace. Overtook six riders in one go. Had them all get past me within half a lap. Might've stuck I suppose.

Put a different outer chainring on last night because there was a bit of tarmac on the course. For some reason, which I still haven't figured out, the shifter isn't working properly (shifts up but the mech doesn't lock into place, drops back into small ring). Didn't have time to sort it out- and it could be that I won't be able to sort it out. The cassette was fouled with leaves so the chain just skipped in the high gears. I had to spin like crazy on the tarmac.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That shifter appears to be knackered so I took the front mech off, put some chainguides on and raced with just the 42 ring upfront, think I'll stick with it, although maybe a 42 is a bit big for my puny legs.

Pretty poor performance today, VC10 'cross over at Aston Clinton. The signing on was in a Yurt. One big run-up and a couple of obstacles meant more running than usual, started flagging towards the end and lost a few places. Not too muddy though, except one slippy descent.

Quite sticky sort of mud, had problems clipping in towards the end.

A clubmate suggested trying three peaks next year, offered me a lift. It didn't seem like something I wanted to do. I've seen footage of it.

I've started to think I want to have a go now. I already know I'll regret it, but the seed has been planted.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Paul, bear in mind that the three peaks isn't a CX race, its a carry a bike on your back up three mountains. It's got about as much to do with CX as touring cars has to do with F1. I thought I was ready both times I've attempted it, I wasn't (although the second time was at least partly down to bad luck). You'll enjoy it- its just not CX.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What was it you said once? something about carrying a small cow up a ****ing great hill (goes off to look up thread..)

Oh yes: "Fell running with a baby cow on your back"

I'll read this thread again each time I start to think it might be a good idea.

I especially note the words of that bloke that jpembroke questioned: "It's horrible, f****** awful. I'll never ever do it again".

jpembroke

Ahhh, the wise words of Chas. He's a very strong rider, too.

Race report: Came 13th at Cheltenham Pittville race yesterday. Feeling stronger and fitter now (must be that I've given up running). So nearly came 12th but the guy I pulled away from for a few laps reeled me in and overtook me with half a lap to go. Still, not a bad result. Tough race as usual with a few crashes early on.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Right at the edge of the central region yesterday- just north of Reading; Sonning Common.

A fairly poor 26th, but a good course- tricky slopes, tight bends, made sense to run a few sections. Muddier than expected (I thought the ground would be frozen). Crappy start as usual, half the field got past me before the bendy section. Too late in the season to do much about that now but I'll have to work on it for next year- although I might enter a few London league events in Jan/Feb.

Lost my position near the top of the League, hardly surprising- it was largely undeserved and the result of my attendance at some early season races before the serious contenders had got started. Might hang on to my second place in the vets competition, although there's not much in it.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
And now my season is over, Central League final at Hillingdon today. I could get along to some London league events but I think I like the idea of stopping here.

I was rubbish today. I was gridded in the second row, no problems getting off, clipped right in, chain stayed on. Just had no power. Got overtaken by riders who shouldn't have been overtaking me. Seemed like two thirds of the field got ahead of me before the race turned onto the mud.

OK, I got past a few of them after that.

So no power; also no grip. Super soft tyres but the mud was heavy and clogged up my treads.

I did get something out of the race, there were some tricky sections and I tried to ride them better each lap- looking for better lines, trying to see if I could go a bit quicker.

33rd I think, out of 56 finishers.

But..

I was third vet in the league.

First time I've won anything at all in cyclocross. I didn't win properly by being the third best vet, I did it by entering all the events and being consistently mediocre. Not that I give a stuff: I've got a medal.

Grunt.. grunt.. grunt..

Hillingdon1.jpg

oldroadman

Veteran
And now my season is over, Central League final at Hillingdon today. I could get along to some London league events but I think I like the idea of stopping here.

I was rubbish today. I was gridded in the second row, no problems getting off, clipped right in, chain stayed on. Just had no power. Got overtaken by riders who shouldn't have been overtaking me. Seemed like two thirds of the field got ahead of me before the race turned onto the mud.

OK, I got past a few of them after that.

So no power; also no grip. Super soft tyres but the mud was heavy and clogged up my treads.

I did get something out of the race, there were some tricky sections and I tried to ride them better each lap- looking for better lines, trying to see if I could go a bit quicker.

33rd I think, out of 56 finishers.

But..

I was third vet in the league.

First time I've won anything at all in cyclocross. I didn't win properly by being the third best vet, I did it by entering all the events and being consistently mediocre. Not that I give a stuff: I've got a medal.

Grunt.. grunt.. grunt..

Hillingdon1.jpg

That, young man, is a reward for consistency and determination. Well done.
I know that little slope you are tackling, I think. Hillingdon just after you go past the new clubroom, round the gravel path and cross the circuit for a little up/down, then on to the path next to the finishing straight?

Top Bottom