Cyclocross- New season approaches..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Actually I once came 9th, but there were only 18 starters.

A clubmate took part in a novice event at the weekend, he was the only entrant. He won (could've DNF'd I suppose)

lpjr

I have had two races so far. First race finished 93rd with 109 entrants. Second race finish 89th with a 115 entrants. If I continue at this rate I think I will win in 2014. On a serious note really need to work on my start. Keep getting stuck at the back.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have had two races so far. First race finished 93rd with 109 entrants. Second race finish 89th with a 115 entrants. If I continue at this rate I think I will win in 2014. On a serious note really need to work on my start. Keep getting stuck at the back.

Just keep at it, you are already critically appraising your performances. First season I was regularly finishing towards the back the pack, plus with that many starters it's harder- most of my events have about 40-60 starters but some of the shared central/London league events can have big fields. My starts are still poor, but better than they were. 2014? nothing wrong with a stretch goal. Not so far away.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Knackered. Tough course, draggy longish grass, quite a lot of singletrack, nasty roots, slippy off-camber stuff.

Must be picking up some league points- got gridded in the second row, so was able to get to the first narrow section at the back of the fast group that developed. Couldn't stay with them but at least I didn't have to queue to ride through the woods. Large field today.

Need some tyres that shed mud better, I'll have a look for some with wider-spaced knobbles (or whatever those are called). Any tips?

Also any tips for riding through slippy off-camber sections a bit faster would be welcome, I probably ought to just go look for some suitable grassy banks and practice it.

This event was nearby so I rode home- saved a lot of work cleaning the mud off the tyres, most of it had gone by the time I got home, easy job.

SimonC

Yep. I think that's why I enjoy it to be honest. Can I add that it was wonderfully dry as well? Apart froma bit on the back field, it was wonderfully fast.

Once rode at Boggart Hole Clough, probably 1988-ish and it was a quagmire! Running for at least half the lap from memory:rolleyes:

Lots of long grass I seem to recall also

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Another Monday, another cyclocross hangover.

A middling-ish (and somewhat disappointing) placing at Icknield yesterday, nice course with some rollercoaster-like lumpy bits in one corner. Dry enough to make them rideable, pretty firm all round. Ran out of juice towards the end, got overhauled by the two riders following. I was getting lonely anyway.

I get gridded every time now. That's because I've got league points from presenteeism. Of course It only takes a few yards before I'm overhauled by the few rows behind me, need to work on the starting effort.

Stayed upright.

I predicted the winner before the race. It was obvious. Who but the eventual winner would have white bar tape?

Big T

Guru
My son won at Icknield High school in 2009. Good course around the school playing field with some up and down bits on the flood defences.

I really liked the Central League - nice friendly atmosphere and a bit less "full on" than the Notts and Derby League.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My son won at Icknield High school in 2009. Good course around the school playing field with some up and down bits on the flood defences.

I really liked the Central League - nice friendly atmosphere and a bit less "full on" than the Notts and Derby League.

Flood defences!

I've been wondering what those things were.

I'm hoping to get to a couple of local races this year to spectate. The plan is to replace my ailing elderly £100 MTB with a cyclocross bike for all year commuting and cyclocross races in the winter. It won't be until next year but I want to make sure I like the look of racing first hand before spending money on a bike. Hopefully I can have a chat with local club people about where they train. It looks superb from the videos I've seen and the relatively short time of races (but not short on effort) fits in nicely for me with weekend family commitments.

Top Bottom