cyclocross project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scarygerbil

guys I know this is a bit oof topic but
in my area there are some nice bridal and offroad cycle paths (not mountain bike routes) and this has started an itch ive had for while since I spotted a picture of a carlton being ridden in a cyclocross race to build a nice steel cyclocross bike
so I am now turning to your great minds for hints, advice or even just a big "NO don't do it"
due to my inside leg of 30" I was thinking of a 19 or 20 inch frame with 10 speeds and putting bar end shifters on it. because it would an occasional ride and the wife's nasty looks I am not looking to spend a fortune on the build and was thinking of Raleigh from the 70s or 80s at the youngest
also what would be the best brake and wheel set up

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you thought about a complete second hand one, £300 ish would get you one of that era.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A suitable Raleigh frame won't be listed as a CX bike though, it'll just be listed as 'retro' and then you'd have to convert it to cyclocross spec (at the time this involved simply changing the tyres) the rest was just left standard.
I'd go for one with 700c wheels which would be an 80s one (for tyre choice) although a racier 27" wheel frame may work with 700c wheels and longer 'drop' brakes giving more tyre clearance (they're slightly smaller wheels)

OP
OP
scarygerbil

scarygerbil

thanks @raleighnut this is what I was thinking as there would be some road riding involved and the bar end shifters are in someways so I can have more control on rough ground

raleighnut

Legendary Member
thanks @raleighnut this is what I was thinking as there would be some road riding involved and the bar end shifters are in someways so I can have more control on rough ground
You never know @biggs682 may have summat up for sale suitable to convert and sizing on those older Raleighs is a bit different to modern quoted sizes so a 21.5" in their sizing may well be small enough.

I've got a Raleigh touriste frame with canti's that would be ideal for a cx conversion but at 19.5" it would be way too small for you, but a touring bike would be worth looking at

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just sold an identical-sized Raleigh flyer to a girl who was about 5'3" and it fitted perfectly, there's no chance @scarygerbil would fit unless he was an actual gerbil
Hence my earlier post.

[
You never know @biggs682 may have summat up for sale suitable to convert and sizing on those older Raleighs is a bit different to modern quoted sizes so a 21.5" in their sizing may well be small enough.

He does mention suffering from 'Ducks syndrome' though. ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I assume your cable enough to have the rear drop out spacing stretched to accomodate 10 speed ?
The older frames are liable to have a126 mm gap in the dropouts whereas newer bikes tend to have 130 mm .

Top Bottom