Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Having watched a few races on TV recently, this looks like a particularly interesting challenge.

Has anyone dabbled in Cyclocross or even Raced by any chance? Just wondering how tough it is compared to road cycling?

Certainly looks tougher to me anyway.

midlife

Guru
About 40 years ago.....it was hard back then so guess it's no easier now :smile:

steven1988

Veteran
My Lad races in the kids CX races. When I was thinking about giving a it a go a club mate and regular Racer said to me "imagine the hardest hour you could spend on a bike.... and then times it by 10" I've still not tried it.

However I recently saw a race that was advertised as first taste of CX. 30 min race with a B line around the more technical bits.... but if you wanted to take the B Line you had to have a shot of spirits... sounds like my sort of race

Julia9054

Guru
I had a go a couple of years ago. They run a big event about 4 miles away from me at Ripley Castle on New Years Day including a novices race which I turned up and entered. My "training" consisted of changing my tyres! One of the toughest things I have ever done too. It's not the cycling part but running with your bike, getting back on and trying to get the bloody thing going again in so much mud! I realised I was nowhere near fit enough!
I came 23rd out of 27 - so not quite last!
This was my experience. Glad I did it . . . no intention of doing it again!

screenman

Legendary Member
Did it on and off from when I was 14 until I was 50. If I had a £ for every race I have done I would be able to buy a nice bike. The only reason I am not doing it now at my now nearly 62 years is due to a nasty bit if arthritis.

My daughter in law lapped me in my last race, she was national points champion at the time. Also about half my weight.

screenman

Legendary Member
Having watched a few races on TV recently, this looks like a particularly interesting challenge.

Has anyone dabbled in Cyclocross or even Raced by any chance? Just wondering how tough it is compared to road cycling?

Certainly looks tougher to me anyway.

Go for it, or forever know not if you would have enjoyed it or not.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Go for it, or forever know not if you would have enjoyed it or not.
Just turned 40 and just fancy it, rather than actually thinking about where I finish. Don’t get me wrong, I will want to continually improve, but will be very realistic as to final placing.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just turned 40 and just fancy it, rather than actually thinking about where I finish. Don’t get me wrong, I will want to continually improve, but will be very realistic as to final placing.

In cross there are loads of races going on within the race, brilliant fun. Do not put it off though as the season is short. That said there are some summer leagues being run.

normgow

Guru
On this subject am I the only one who raced long enough ago to remember river crossings.
Even though it was along time ago I can remember river crossings. John Morris's promotion at Forty Hall near Enfield comes to mind.
Later these water obstacles fell out of favour, I remember a riders' revolt at Welwyn when we refused to go splashing through a stream on the course.

In cross there are loads of races going on within the race, brilliant fun.
That's one of the best things about 'cross, you can nearly always find someone of similar ability and engage in your own private duel with no concern about what's happening at the front of the race

Top Bottom