D fuse seatpost slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

As some of you may know I bought a used Giant Defy advanced, it has carbon Frame with d fuse seat post.

The seat post was a bit too high for me on my first ride, so when I got back I lowered it slightly, paying close attention to the 6nm torque when tightening the wedge bolt.

However today I went out and did 25 miles, about half way round I could hear a creak and soon realised the seat was slipping down gradually.

Did some Googling and see carbon paste is good for stopping this, the seat didn’t slip once on my first outing on it,so not sure what to do.

Tonight I’ve removed the post,cleaned and dried and did the same with the inside of the frame, I’ve re installed and torque tightened the wedge, I will try it again tomorrow.

I presume if I use some carbon paste it will still be able to be adjusted anytime and won’t act as a bonding agent?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carbon paste is just like a sticky grit !

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Ok cool.

im guessing the seatpost was fine as it had been in the same position for a while, and once I’ve disturbed it, it’s slipping.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Just to update.

I got some carbon paste and put on seatpost.

I went out tonight and did 17 miles the seatpost didn’t move at all which is great.

However I still have the creaking noise over bumps and when moving on and off the seat etc……

Last edited:

Velochris

Über Member
I've found Motorex carbon paste very good. Isn't as abrasive as some so doesn't mark the post.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Check saddle bolts are tight enough. But creaking can come from all sorts of different places and often not where you think it is coming from as it echos around the frame! And it's a used bike so yuo don't know how it has been looked after - or not. Start with simple things like q/r levers done up, check stem clamp to bars correctly torqued ( you can remove the bar clamp bolts, clean and reg--grease then re-torque as this sometimes does it), check cleats and pedals for any plan, check no movement in bottom bracket, check wheel hubs for no play. Does it creak when you are or peddalling or not; does it creak if you stand up out of the saddle. If it is a press fit bb then that could be suspect as well - but it can be a beggar to source a creak

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I got it fixed today.

There was no creak when I first got the bike. It only started after I lowered the seatpost as it was slightly too high for me

I re stripped the seatpost this morning and also took apart the d fuse wedge, I added some more paste further down the tube and that has cured the creak.

Top Bottom