D.I.Y. frame painting tip.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve1733

Here's a useful tip that gives a really good finish for anyone who's considering brush painting a frame.

After applying a section of paint go over it using one of those mini 4in sponge rollers. They smooth out any brush strokes and drips and give quite a professional looking finish. I also use the same method when it comes to applying a clear coat. You can pretty much do the whole frame using the roller. They are dirt cheap and you can just throw them away afterwards. Hope this helps anyone taking on a project.
P1000749.JPG
P1000751.JPG
P1000750.JPG

defy-one

Great tip - thanks!! :smile:

OP
OP
S

Steve1733

Thanks for your comments of the paint finish. They make all the effort worthwhile.

On this particular frame, as can be seen from the masking tape on the BB, I used up the remains of a spray can. That said, I always go over it with the mini roller. Almost always when I've used spray cans in the past I end up with too thick a coat in certain places on the frame, especially around the BB and lugs, (hence pictures of those difficult places) but the mini roller evens it out.

The top coat is built up using Ronseal Quick drying Varnish. With the brush and roller method you can really build up a thick coat of clear finish. When I add new decals I'll finish the frame off with two very thin coats of lacquer from a spray can. Job done. If anyone tries it I'm sure they'll be pleased with the resulting finish.

OP
OP
S

Steve1733

Hi sidevalve,
I use just an ordinary acrylic. Thing is to really give the paint time to dry first before applying a clear coat. Best if you can exposé it to a heat source. Someone mentioned leaving the frame in an airing cupboard, or in my case, I hang the frame above a small oil filled heater and leave it on low for a couple of days. Hope this helps you.

Nice Technique, works a treat on cast iron or steel ornamental railings.
Will have to try it sometime on a not so special frame.
Good tip thanks.

OP
OP
S

Steve1733

Glad you've tried it. Unfortunately it also works on interior white gloss doors, so now I've no excuse not to do them. Anyway, post back when you've tried it on a frame. I'd like to hear how it turned out.

Unfortunately it also works on interior white gloss doors
It certainly does, only in reverse (leaves a more traditional brush effect).
Available for interior/exterior painting, not tried any bikes though.
Still a sight cheaper than a compressor/workshop!

Top Bottom