Dacia Sandero

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This wouldn't stop me buying one. Many people travel daily in cars from 10 years ago that would score badly using today's standard.
What would stop me buying one is it's based on a Renault.
Buy Japanese or German, doesn't matter if they are built elsewhere.
Funny you should say that , but German cars are more likely to break down than any other makes. Japanese on the other hand are a much safer bet.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Suspect SUVs are more likely to badly injure and kill pedestrians than a Sandero. People pay large sums for them rather than buying them as a cheap car out of necessity. Maybe it should be compulsory to have a sticker on the bonnet saying I am a tw4t. :laugh:
Sadly, that is largely a myth - see for yourself...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/volvo/xc90/20976

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/fiesta/27708

If you're thinking of murdering me in a car id ask you to please use a large SUV!

it was probably true when Defenders, Shoggies and Mk1 Rangies were the only SUVs about, but in the 21st century that situation has been reverse.

My mark 1 XC90 was the first model ever where pedestrian safety was a high design priority - deformable aluminium bonnet with much space betwixt it and the hard stuff underneath, soft front end with mucho space behind, measures taken to ensure peds go over the bonnet and not under the car - 17 years after it was launched it is still one of the highest ranked for pedestrian safety, and the current model (which Mrs D has) is (or was when we got it) the highest. 17 years on the Sandero has none of that.

Proper SUVs (not pretend ones made from regular hatchbacks and fake plastic cladding painted with creosote) have space to accommodate such measures, and the ticket price to pay for them. Given the choice ive rather be had off my bike by a modern large SUV with a soft front end, autonomous braking and collision avoidance, than a small budget hatch,(speed etc being otherwise equal) although really given a choice I'd sooner not be had off at all.

Last edited:
I am bitterly disappointed in you, CycleChat. 18 posts and not a single reference to either James May going "Good news!" or the area east of Illyria and north of Thrace.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
News just in. Volvo driver calls out poor people.
Mine was bequeathed to me when my Stepmother died. Prior to that I was carless, and when it goes I will be carless again. (Ive done 900 miles in 18 months, so its a financial liability, but considering it was left to me it would be churlish to have turned it down or get rid straight away).

Mrs D is disabled, and needs a car big enough for a wheelchair, which also doesn't have a lip or sill in the boot. Following the death of my Stepmum my Dad decided he didn't wan't to be the richest man in the graveyard ("no pockets in a shroud", he said) so he bought Mrs D's XC90 for her - it's his 77k that paid for it, not ours. He ordered one for himself, and another for Mrs D, identical in all but colour.

I'm calling people out over their priorities when buying budget, not their need to do so or their ability to do otherwise.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
Its too easy to get about using a car, our infrastructure is set up for the car, I was without a car for many years, I managed to get about, but when I got my car I realized that being car free was restricting where I could get to, and it was often difficult to get to some places, If I take a trip to a nearby town, in the car its about half an hour, on the bus it takes over an hour and involves two buses, no wonder that people wont move away from there cars.
Yes in rural, but fairly well inhabited Eastern County Durham, several journeys are either totally impossible by bus or stupidly difficult. I worked in Darlington, or rather on the outskirts of Darlo'. While we have a fine service, the #7, running regularly from Durham to Darlo', getting to the outskirts would mean catching the first #7 bus out of our village and then the local bus, arriving 10 minutes late for an 8am start.
Cycling I could have an extra half hour in bed, and driving, an extra hour. When I changed jobs to Stockton, centre, It was impossible to arrive by 8.30am using the bus. Cycling took a pretty reliable 1hr and 3 minutes in and rather longer, anything from 1hr 20 to 1hr 45 minutes home, depending on the wind. Driving a little over 20 minutes each way.
While I 'could' have lived closer to work, moving house each time you change jobs is more expensive than buying and running even a rather good car, for quite some time, and I already owned a car.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd be more interested in the safety rating of the drivers and a genuine effort to remove the dangerous ones from the road but daily I see mobile phone wielding, speeding drivers going around without a moment's thought for anyone's safety and very little being done about that.

A woman at work was always giving out about a roundabout in town where pedestrians kept walking out in front of her and making her brake. I pointed out that it is a pedestrian crossing and the pedestrians have priority. Apparently she didn't know this. This is the standard of people who have passed a driving test...

"NCAP has criticised Dacia’s decision not to fit a more sophisticated automated braking system. Such systems, which will shortly be made standard on all cars by legislation, detect when a collision is imminent and can automatically hit the car’s brakes, with no input from the driver. Most such setups use both a radar and a windscreen-mounted camera..."

NCAP approve and upmark the use of all the latest gadgetery such as camera and radar auto braking, lane assist and seperate airbags for every part of the body.
I have never knowingly driven a car with any of these features.

Off topic, I know, but all this talk of lane assist and collision avoidance systems makes me wonder, given that I've only driven a handful of times since 2000, how will I fare when I look to getting my licence when covid restrictions are eased?

Will my excellent skills at driving a 1997 Ford Ka (yes, that IS where the -ka in my username comes from) or a 2000 Vauxhull Corsa stand me in good stead with whatever souped-up semi-automated go-karts youngsters are driving these days, or will I need lots of remedial training?

I heard they've changed the manouevres you are tested on. If they've gotten rid of reverse parallel parking I will be raging, I spent so much time practicing that. My first attempt was perfect, it only went downhill from there.

I never did get an opportunity to master the heel-toe or the scandi flick, maybe I will give it a shot in my first lesson.

Kind regards
Serene Doge Edgar I "I should have been born in Finland" Püggeleinen

winjim

Smash the cistern
I heard they've changed the manouevres you are tested on. If they've gotten rid of reverse parallel parking I will be raging, I spent so much time practicing that. My first attempt was perfect, it only went downhill from there.
Some cars these days do come with automatic parking brakes which should solve that problem.

Top Bottom