Dacia Sandero

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was a riff on 'going downhill'... Incidentally, we live on a steep hill and our neighbour's garden wall is testimony to the fact that not all vehicles have automatic parking brakes.
Yeah we're on the same page then, albeit from different places, though looking back at it my pun was so weak as to be homeopathic.

*cough*
I was excellent at three point turns at first but halfway through it started going downhill!

Solocle

Über Member
Ebay is awash with them. Chinese knock offs of branded goods, or other goods which can give you unexpected mains voltage.

Edited to add; viewers of Big Clive will no doubt recall the examples of the camping light which put mains voltage through a USB recharger, and garden floodlights which were either not earthed properly or not earthed at all.
I think my favourite have to be the water heaters that work by, well, running mains through the water. Particularly the deluxe edition for baby's bath. 🤬 The hot dogger is quite interesting too (cooking hot dogs by running mains through them), but a bit safer.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
News just in. Volvo driver calls out poor people.

That might be a little unfair on the OP, but it's fair to point out only the rich can afford the best passive safety.

Given the poor person's need for a car is just as valid as the rich person's, there's no easy answer.

I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for buying a Sandero.

Better that than a poorly maintained old banger.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It would be interesting to see the ncap rating in comparison for a second hand car in the dacia price range to see if buying somehting of a similar price would yield better results

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Suspect SUVs are more likely to badly injure and kill pedestrians than a Sandero.

I'm sure that's true.

Relatively low front ends are deemed to be better in pedestrian/cyclist collisions because there's more chance of being scooped onto the bonnet giving a less serious injury outcome.

The brick front ends of SUVs must make it much more likely for the injured party to go under the moving vehicle leading to easily predictable and very unpleasant results.

What if you don't want a modern car?

Will I be 'called out' I wonder?
The likeliest scenario is that the VED brackets will be changed as a form of punitive tax.

While there is debate about the current extent of driver liability laws, I doubt that the UK gov has the cojones to meddle with them - even though the UK already has some of the loosest driver liability laws in the developed world, it's *incredibly* easy to whip the "war on the motorist innit" mob into a froth, and anything deemed as being anti-motorist is railed against. The natural conclusion of this is lunacy such as:
https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/motorist-was-driving-while-banned-for-eighth-time-9195442/

Personally, I'd hand bans out like wristbands at a festival, and flouting a ban would involve a mandatory stay at the stripey hole hotel.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Off topic, I know, but all this talk of lane assist and collision avoidance systems makes me wonder, given that I've only driven a handful of times since 2000, how will I fare when I look to getting my licence when covid restrictions are eased?

Will my excellent skills at driving a 1997 Ford Ka (yes, that IS where the -ka in my username comes from) or a 2000 Vauxhull Corsa stand me in good stead with whatever souped-up semi-automated go-karts youngsters are driving these days, or will I need lots of remedial training?

I heard they've changed the manouevres you are tested on. If they've gotten rid of reverse parallel parking I will be raging, I spent so much time practicing that. My first attempt was perfect, it only went downhill from there.

I never did get an opportunity to master the heel-toe or the scandi flick, maybe I will give it a shot in my first lesson.

Kind regards
Serene Doge Edgar I "I should have been born in Finland" Püggeleinen
In my day the test was straightforward. You had to drive between 2 cows without hitting either one. If you messed it up you didn't bother stopping, you just drove straight home.

I'm sure that's true.

Except @Pale Rider that is not true. The reverse is the case. See my earlier post with links to NCAP. Its an urban myth, a falshood perpeuiated by people who don't like SUVs (Ive no problem at all with people not liking them, only that they stick to actual facts when trotting put their justifcation for doing so).

Current XC90, rather elderly now, on sale for almost 7 years and about to be replaced with a new model...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/volvo/xc90/20976

The new Fiesta, arguably the most advanced and sophistcated small ICE car you can buy...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/fiesta/27708

While youre on the NCAP site have a root around, and youll see the Q7s, X5s, all the wildebeest comfortably outperform small cars for pedestrian safety.

Interestingly, in the last year or so NCAP have done away with a pedestrian rating for new models, and its now a "vulnerable road users" rating, presumably including tests for cyclists, horse riders, etc.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Head of Renault Algeria:
“Our customers don’t care so much for Euro NCAP,” says Benoussan with unusual candour. “We didn’t want to enter the race for stars.”
This tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
I think the "SUV bad" theory used to be true - especially in the days when it was cool to nail some bars to the front in case any Kangaroos jumped out in front of you when taking Nigel to his Surbiton Prep school.
Those things were basically the best thing possible for increasing the pedestrian injury potential.

SInce then the manufacturers have changed the way the front end is designed and it is no longer truw

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Suspect SUVs are more likely to badly injure and kill pedestrians than a Sandero. People pay large sums for them rather than buying them as a cheap car out of necessity. Maybe it should be compulsory to have a sticker on the bonnet saying I am a tw4t. :laugh:
They already do- but it's invisible.

Getting hit by one or two tonnes of metal will seriously damage your health whatever the makers' badge on the front says... you might get away with it below 30mph but anything over 40mph and you're unlikely to survive and if you do you may come to regret you did.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
What Archie said. As a rough rule of thumb you're 90% likely to surivive a collision with a car at 20MPH as a ped, that drops to 50:50 at 30MPH, and 10ish% at 40MPH.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In my day the test was straightforward. You had to drive between 2 cows without hitting either one. If you messed it up you didn't bother stopping, you just drove straight home.

Except @Pale Rider that is not true. The reverse is the case. See my earlier post with links to NCAP. Its an urban myth, a falshood perpeuiated by people who don't like SUVs (Ive no problem at all with people not liking them, only that they stick to actual facts when trotting put their justifcation for doing so).

Current XC90, rather elderly now, on sale for almost 7 years and about to be replaced with a new model...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/volvo/xc90/20976

The new Fiesta, arguably the most advanced and sophistcated small ICE car you can buy...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/fiesta/27708

While youre on the NCAP site have a root around, and youll see the Q7s, X5s, all the wildebeest comfortably outperform small cars for pedestrian safety.

Interestingly, in the last year or so NCAP have done away with a pedestrian rating for new models, and its now a "vulnerable road users" rating, presumably including tests for cyclists, horse riders, etc.

You will have a hard time convincing anyone that going under a vehicle is preferable to being thrown onto the bonnet, and an equally hard time convincing anyone that a flat fronted vehicle is not more likely to send you under.

Top Bottom