Daily Calories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I hope a new thread is appropriate. I've skimmed through parts of the Weight Watchers thread and it doesn't seem to cover it.

I'm in the process of losing weight but not rushing it. I'm 5'9", 62 and a fit club cyclist. Over the past two years I have dropped from 88kg to 77 today. My target is to be 72. This is the point at which I will, I think, feel most comfortable. My motivation is to lose the flabbiness on my waist and breasts. This is a vanity project.

For the last four weeks I've taken a stricter approach as my weight loss had stalled. To this end I've reduced alcohol to 2-3 glasses of wine, 75ml, cut out the rubbish - chocolate, cake etc. I've also returned to calorie counting, something I haven't done for a year.

I have not reduced portion size but am now aware of my calorie in take. This is 1500/1600 a day. My understanding is I should be around 2000. I'm usually hungry an hour before any meal time.

Last Sunday on a tough ride, 63 miles and 5000 feet, I ran in to serious problems with my blood sugar dropping very fast - this has caused me to fit in the past.

I gather it's possible to get calories from different sources - basically good and bad. What I'm struggling to understand is how I can boost my calorie intake without compromising my weight loss.

Which foods provide "good" calories?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/nutrition
I thibk basically your best to avoid things that are high GI , going for slow energy release foods that keep you topped up rather a big sugar rush .

I have a great weight loss secret, get a stomach bug and don't eat properly for a few days , its amazing and cheap, apart from the extra toilet roll :smile:

The science of nutrition is going through a very radical overhaul at the moment. At present it is based on Ancyl Keys' flawed principles of a food pyramid based on carbohydrate as the biggest proportion, then protein and then fat. That pyramid has now been shown to be faulty. It is turning the world's population into Type II diabetics, especially healthy individuals on heavy exercise regimes. Hunger quickly after meals is a typical sign of yo-yo-ing blood sugar levels.

For years and years the definitive text for long distance athletes was the Lore of Running, by Tim Noakes. This book sold millions of copies in spite of its dense, heavily scientific content. Very recently Dr Noakes tore entire sections out of the book, admitting that he too had been led by the nose on carbohydrates.

There's a new regime on the block and it is worth reading up on it. Start with understanding the principles of HFLC and then perhaps go on and read Gary Taubes and his contemporaries.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Don't diet. Eat sensibly. Avoid sugar. Don't rely on just one type of exercise. Throw in some swimming, walking, weightlifting or a fast racket sport like squash or badminton. At least once a week do some form of HIIT training

keithmac

Guru
I'm 5'10" and found 76kg to be the "right" weight for me, top end of normal bmi but bear in mind if you have good leg muscles you will carry slightly more weight.

Calorie wise you can't eat more and expect to loose weight, I was the same as you started off at 92kg and ended up at 76kg.

Problem with eating at a deficit to loose weight is you won't have much reserve energy left, maybe have a hearty breakfast on big ride days for adequate fuel and factor that in to a weekly calorie goal rather than daily?.

I aimed for 1500 calories a day and there wasn't a lot left in the tank, when you've dropped to your goal weight and start on maintenance it will get a lot easier.

I found I needed carbs for energy, some people can cut these down and also fat and protein to feel full, so my meals stayed similar and just portion controlled them instead.

Cut out alcohol rather than eating less food to make an allowance for it..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your vanity project might work with a total loss of 16 kg.

I had let things get twice as bad as that and ended up losing 30 kg, the result being lots of loose skin and stretch marks. I look like I have given birth to about 10 very large babies, so my vanity has had to be put on permanent hold! :laugh:

If you have fits due to low blood sugar then it probably isn't a good idea to run too much of a calorie deficit! Take your time and lose the blubber slowly.

I do find that sugary things don't keep hunger at bay whereas fats and protein do. I had about 50 grams of mixed nuts hours ago and they have killed my appetite for an evening meal. I'll wait another couple of hours before heading to the kitchen.

Ride2017

That pyramid has now been shown to be faulty. It is turning the world's population into Type II diabetics, especially healthy individuals on heavy exercise regimes.
Do you have a source for that?

Protein has always been hugely hard to get hence for 1000's of years humans have mainly subsisted on carbs. Its interesting that weight issues have grown in line with the rise in processed food over the last 60 years. People that don't eat the Western diet don't have these cronic diseases.

Top Bottom