Damage to bikes at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aemb11

Hi guys,

My name is Alex, I am an A level product design student- currently doing design and technology coursework. My coursework requires me to undergo a design project. My aim for the project is to prevent damage to bikes when locked up at work or even in your shed at home. Have you experienced this issue before? if so I would love to hear about it. The end goal would be to have a completed product and if you were to give a few moments of your time I would be happy to give you the finished product at the end of the year.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nope.

Tom B

Guru
Yes. We had an issue a few years ago of rear mechs / hangers getting bashed and bent.

We found it was due to increased numbers of bikes being stored in the wall mounted wheel bender racks in our shed after an edict that bikes should not be stored in the main building.

It was solved by increased storage provision then subsequent reduction in staffing.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
When i was younger and at school my bike was so rubbish that i probably wouldn't have noticed if someone had hit it with a hammer. That being said, i do recall a few instances of complaint's of damage. A torn saddle and someone had either on purpose or accidentally kicked the rear mech and damaged it. All these problems like resolved by not packing the bike racks so close together.

Tom B

Guru
Not an issue unless you have idiots at either end that bash into bikes without thought. Short of individual lockers hard to see how you’d avoid damage by clumsy others.

Correct.. our request for individual lockers fell on deaf ears. The current racks were knocked up by caretaker Len's wannabe blacksmith mate in his garden shed. The extra influx meant bikes were stored in the spaces between bikes.

This is something I think the government could help with in respect not grants and tax breaks for employers to make workplaces more cycle commuting friendly. Arguably would be more effective than the cycle to work scheme and some of the other batty ideas they come up with to break down barriers to commuting by bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aemb11

Road bike or mountain bike?

Ideally, I would like to design a product that takes into consideration both road bike and mountain bike specs. A product that is universal and will eliminate the chances of bikes getting damaged.

OP
OP
A

aemb11

Correct.. our request for individual lockers fell on deaf ears. The current racks were knocked up by caretaker Len's wannabe blacksmith mate in his garden shed. The extra influx meant bikes were stored in the spaces between bikes.

This is something I think the government could help with in respect not grants and tax breaks for employers to make workplaces more cycle commuting friendly. Arguably would be more effective than the cycle to work scheme and some of the other batty ideas they come up with to break down barriers to commuting by bike.

Thanks for the reply, the plan would be to design a product that would make commuters and bike users feel confident in locking up their bike. Hopefully this product would encourage more people to cycle to work.

Tom B

Guru
Thanks for the reply, the plan would be to design a product that would make commuters and bike users feel confident in locking up their bike. Hopefully this product would encourage more people to cycle to work.

It's sort of been done.

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/1-to-2-bike-storage

Or a row of BLUC lockers or type locker would do the trick. The issue is getting the employer to swallow the bill and find the space.

We are quite fortunate in so much as we have showers, lockers and (now) a drying room. Many other places would need that additionally.

simongt

Guru
One of the Sainsburys in Norwich had the customer cycle parking 'upgraded' a while back. The undercover racks are of the front-wheel-grabber type, but are for fat tyred bikes, thus useless for road bikes. The Sheffield stands outside are higher than standard, so if you have a ladies bike or a folder, it's extremely difficult to get a lock round both bike and stand without having to lift the bike up. Obviously thought out by a keen cyclist - ! :rofl:

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh aye, wheelbenders are the spawn of Satan himself. Even worse, wheelbenders crammed into a bike shed with insufficient clearance in between to accommodate bikes side by side.

Car drivers wouldn't be expected to put up with such rubbish.

Top Bottom