1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

damaged rim

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Mister Paul, 8 Sep 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I posted a question some time ago and said that I would insert photos when I got round to it. Well I have them now but can't find the thread, so I'll start again-

I damaged the rear rim on my road bike a couple of months ago, riding up a dropped kerb on one of the lower quality local cycle paths. These are the best pictures I could get-

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

Would you still ride it, or do you think it's gone too deep into the rim to be safe?

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

and i thought you were confessing to something else… :blush:

3. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I'd ride it. Don't look that bad at all.

4. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Thanks for that. I didn't think it was too bad. I just have no idea about rims, their thickness, and what it would take to damage their integrity.

5. col

col Veteran

One thing i would do,im sure you have,is check for sharp bits that might damage the tyre?otherwise i would use it too.

6. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

might be worth rounding off any sharp edges tho'

7. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I bought a rim that had a bigger gouge out of it from new that that one. It eventually split after several thousand hard off road miles.

worth keeping an eye on it, and have a look to see if the tyre starts to push through the rim, at the dint.

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I damaged a wheel, similar to the photo, by hitting a small rock when last back in the UK. When I went to the LBS they were adament that it should not be ridden. I know they may have a vested interest or are following company regulations but I thought better of it and bought a new wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

An aluminium rim will take a lot more damage than you'd believe. Even dented it will carry on. Yours looks fine, just keep an eye on it whenever you're doing maintenance.

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

yeah, it'll be fine. thou as alecs says make sure any spiky bits can't puncture the tyre.

11. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

PEDANT one held in place and under tension by 36 spokes will anyway.
    the rim on its own is as feeble as an asthmatic jelly on his first day at big school;) PEDANT

12. barq

barq Senior Member

Yeah, but they don't normally get used unless they are spoked up do they? :blush:

13. Agree with others - round-off any sharp edges with a small file, have a look at it periodically and check it's not cracking or anything, it should be fine.