Damn bendy bus overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pisquee

Regular
Riding home tonight after work (about 2220) along Westminster Bridge Road here travelling south-east towards Elephant and Castle.

Number 12 bus (BX54 EFB) overtakes me with not much room, then before even half of the front portion of the bus has past me, he starts to pull in. I had nowhere to go, but to slam on my brakes, and pull me and bike over to the kerb.

Once he'd finished his manouver, I could get back on my bike and overtake him while he was stopped at his bus stop, and knocked on the window. He looked a bit confused, not used to people knocking on his window obviously. But by the way I was staring at him, he muct have known I wanted to talk to him, so he opened it. I then told him what had happened, and he just shrugged! Didn't seem to care - asking if everything was alright/nothing damaged - as if it was OK to drive how he wanted as long as no one got hurt.

Unfortunately, I don't have a helmet cam yet, so have no evidence to show. But I did at least take a note of the reg by photographing it.

I am always wary of big vehicles, especially bendy buses, and dont undertake them, and often don't overtake them, giving them lots of room, but this one decided to impose itself on me.

ARGH!

When I got home, I had to calm down a bit before going and saying hello to the wife!

iZaP

Über Member
You can always report it to TFL I guess or the bus company?

Foghorn_leghorn

I'd go with reporting it to the bus company as you have the reg. and can give the time and location. Should be enough to be taken seriously and there might be some external cctv footage from the bus.

frank9755

Cyclist
Do report it. I've reported a few similar incidents. It only takes 5 mins to do, they do speak to the driver about it and it is logged so the number of incidents can be tracked.

If you don't report it you are implicitly accepting it!

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
+1 do report it. i'm fed up of this sort of stupid driving. I had a bus do that very recently, I put my bike in front of the cab took a photo of number plate and driver and told him how terrifying that was and that he needed more training in how to drive safely. Sent it too the bus company and TFL, bus company replied that they had done something but wouldnt tell me what and TFL didn't respond.

SW19cam

Über Member

OP
OP
P

Pisquee

Regular
Oh, and to add to the story ... I had hi-vis top, and front and back lights. He'd obviously seen me to "overtake" me, but then instantly forgot my existence, or how long his vehicle was!

Jezston

Über Member
Oh, and to add to the story ... I had hi-vis top, and front and back lights. He'd obviously seen me to "overtake" me, but then instantly forgot my existence, or how long his vehicle was!

A far too common error. They forget once they personally are past you, that doesn't mean the rest of the vehicle they are driving is!

Domeo

"This bus is 18 metres long and driven by a complete self-gratification artist". See dodgy manoeuvres from them daily.:angry:

Texas_rp

I HATE bending buses. You start to overtake, get to 9 metres and they begin to pull out forcing you way out into the other side of the road with on coming traffic.

Or you are the nearside and they overtake, only to come up to a left hand bend when you are only 9 metres through their length and they close in on you, forcing to you jump onto the pavement.

The sooner they are gone the better.

REPORT IT.

and i'm glad you're safe.

Top Bottom