Damn...broken spokes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I am now around the 18/19 stone mark

Are spokes breaking "just one of the joys of cycling"?

I used to be around that weight & I've had my 'fair' share of broken spokes on machine built wheels that have been fitted to my bikes as standard. After investing in a set of hand built quality wheels, it's all I ride on now, apart from my old work hack. If breaking spokes becomes too regular, it'll always be on your mind & has the potential to stop your enjoyment of riding a little (it certainly did for me) Handbuilt wheels may seem expensive, but will last much longer, without any issues, in my experience. Certainly a worthwhile investment for 'larger' riders :okay:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

The plastic spoke protector sorted, just needed twisting to lock it... must have just removed it to do the spokes ;)

I had thought of custom wheels, so it will be an option if it happens again... so far once in 12 months using crap roads and starting heavier than I was now... so maybe it loosened the tension over time, will see how it goes :smile:

When I got the bike Spa Cycle in Harrogate would do me a set of wheels hand built for £195 a pair which I think is a fantastic price... In fact my bosses Son has cycled from Harrogate to Australia on a Spa Cycles bike using there upgraded wheels fully loaded with little issue and some of those roads were really bad ...

This is his story so far... https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=20731&v=En

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Get bike cleaned and chain lube on...

Get out tomorrow and Sunday...

it will be a VERY nervous ride,,, hope there is no repeat of last weeks "broken spokes" episode....

Bit paranoid me lol

Top Bottom