Damn clicking noise coming from crank area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
This noise happens with and without pressure on the pedals, with or without the chain on, and clicks when the left crank is vertical - if you move the crank forwards an backwards past the vertical stage it will click each time.

Any ideas? :biggrin:

I am clueless in the Bb area :biggrin:
Thanks

Toasted BB bearing probably.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Mr Pig said:
Could be, or the BB could be loose in the frame. Take it out, clean the threads and refit with a lick of grease on them.

Also could be a loose pedal.

eeeeek
Well not had the bike long, so BB shouldnt be roasted...and on the BB it does say "do not dissassemble" :S

...Hmmm I'll try again to see if sheldon brown has anything to say on the matter...not so keen going clicking round for 60 miles on tomorrows club run :tongue:

peanut

probably your ankles :tongue: rub some oil into them .

sorry couldn't resist. I'm feeling in an odd sort of mood today ..

It is likely to be either your crank or the bottom bracket . What type of BB do you have is it an outboard cartridge type bearing like Hollowtech or a traditional axle with inboard ballrace bearings or sealed cartridge ?.

If trad BB I would remove my cranks and inspect them for rust put a tiny smear of grease on the axle and retighten.

dodgy

If it says 'do not disassemble' I reckon he has a hollowtech BB. The 'do not disassemble' marking is only mean to disuade you from taking the bearings apart. You are 'allowed' to loosen the BB and tighten it up again, which is all it might need.

A stupid thing that caught me out in the past :tongue: was the gear cable end cap, in the middle chain ring it'd clear the cranks no problem but in the large chain ring it'd catch slightly.

peanut

dodgy said:
If it says 'do not disassemble' I reckon he has a hollowtech BB. The 'do not disassemble' marking is only mean to disuade you from taking the bearings apart. You are 'allowed' to loosen the BB and tighten it up again, which is all it might need.

yes if its the left crank thats the one that is loose on a hollowtech ,the other is fixed to the chainset crank.Can't think what could cause the click with no load other than maybe the cartidge bearing has got some water in it and gone rusty ?or the left crank has got loose somehow

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Do you have a pump on the bottl mount? I once had a clicking, thought my BB had gone. Took it to LBS and he told me it wasnt the BB, and he want sure what it was. So off i went again. I then found out it was the pump on the bottle mount, and when i peddled, the crank hit the pump and made the noice:blush:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Do you have a pump on the bottl mount? I once had a clicking, thought my BB had gone. Took it to LBS and he told me it wasnt the BB, and he want sure what it was. So off i went again. I then found out it was the pump on the bottle mount, and when i peddled, the crank hit the pump and made the noice

Afraid not, had the bike upside down, with wheels and chain off, and still got the noise when I spun it :tongue:
The crank would have to be virtually falling off to make a clicking noise whilst unladen. It's the BB. Is the bike still covered by warranty?
Well I got it last november so should be :smile:

jags

Guru
more than likely it's your pedals.and the only way to find out for sure is ,take them off put another set pedals on and try it out.one of your buddies might lend you a pair.

Top Bottom