Damn Shifting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

A probable cause. There are a number of kinks in the cable the same distance apart.. Shimano use zip ties to keep the cable tidy in the packaging which without a doubt causes this. From what I remember Clarks pack their cables in a cardboard package with no ties.

Lovacott

Über Member
With a top quality pair of Draper cutters. It was as clean as a whistle.
During lockdown one, I didn't have access to a pair of decent cutters so I improvised with a pair of pliers I got from Lidl a couple of years ago.

What worked was neatly and tightly wrapping the cutting point in Cellotape and then cutting at the centre with pliers (constant force, no wiggling).

The tape prevented fraying and when removed, it was neat enough to fit the nipple end.

I've since got hold of a decent German made wire cutter.

Where I was getting frays was at the pinch bolts on the old mechs (very basic Shimano as fitted on a Halfords Apollo cheapy MTB) . They were very crappy. Basically a hex nut and pan head bolt shoved through a hole.

The new mechs have much better designed pinch bolts (Allen key with proper clamping plates) so I don't envisage the same thing happening again.

Time will tell :laugh:.

Gunk

Guru
Little tip that I always do when fitting a new mech cable is to hold the mech firmly and then change gear a just a couple of clicks with the shifter.

not only does this pre-stretch the cable but it pushes all the end caps/ferrules into place.

I also tighten the cable with the chain on the second smallest cog and then adjust it out so it easily moves to smallest gear. This way you get much smoother indexing.

Lovacott

Über Member
A probable cause. There are a number of kinks in the cable the same distance apart.. Shimano use zip ties to keep the cable tidy in the packaging which without a doubt causes this. From what I remember Clarks pack their cables in a cardboard package with no ties.
Kinks will do it. Anything which increases friction won't help.

Looks like you've solved your own problem?

Lovacott

Über Member
Little tip that I always do when fitting a new mech cable is to hold the mech firmly and then change gear a just a couple of clicks with the shifter.

not only does this pre-stretch the cable but it pushes all the end caps/ferrules into place.

I also tighten the cable with the chain on the second smallest cog and then adjust it out so it easily moves to smallest gear. This way you get much smoother indexing.
Is that front or back or both?

Lovacott

Über Member
This is rear

but same principle applies to front, and I know it’s obvious, but set the limit screws without the cable attached.
I set the small cog limit before I attached the cable last week when I fitted the new rear mech (as per Shimano instructions").

I set the big limit with the cable attached.

Judging by the strength of the spring in the new front mech, there is no way I will be able to pull it out to its big ring limit by hand.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Problem hopefully solved. I fitted a Clarks cable this afternoon with a bit of GT85 and it slid smoothly into the new housing. A little indexing followed by a ride and everything seems ok (although the housing could be slightly longer). I'm disappointed with the Shimano packaging though - a top brand making a p*ss poor mistake like that.

Lovacott

Über Member
Problem hopefully solved. I fitted a Clarks cable this afternoon with a bit of GT85 and it slid smoothly into the new housing. A little indexing followed by a ride and everything seems ok (although the housing could be slightly longer). I'm disappointed with the Shimano packaging though - a top brand making a p*ss poor mistake like that.

What pissed me off, was having to pay £30 at Halfords six months ago for one half of this which cost me £17 from Clarks direct two weeks ago.

clarks.jpg

It's a front and rear disc brake set with calipers, discs, inner cables, outer cables and a spare set of disc pads for both front and back, for £17.00.

Crazy.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

What pissed me off, was having to pay £30 at Halfords six months ago for one half of this which cost me £17 from Clarks direct two weeks ago.

View attachment 570160

It's a front and rear disc brake set with calipers, discs, inner cables, outer cables and a spare set of disc pads for both front and back, for £17.00.

Crazy.
Yes I know, I usually purchase them from eBay but my other bike is off road until I replace the shifter so I wanted the cable asap. I only buy tubes from Halfrauds, otherwise I don't go near the place.

Lovacott

Über Member
Yes I know, I usually purchase them from eBay but my other bike is off road until I replace the shifter so I wanted the cable asap. I only buy tubes from Halfrauds, otherwise I don't go near the place.
Living where I Iive, there really isn't a lot of choice. The local bike shop wants a kings ransom for a pair of brake pads and they won't let you out of the door until you've purchased a £2000 bike with an extended warranty.

Harsh, but true.

Top Bottom