Damn Shifting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Tha
I should have stated that it cost me £24.00 including delivery. Amazon is a bit sneaky sometimes by charging different people different prices.

It's a good bit of kit and I really only bought it because it was cheap enough to justify the purchase price (cheaper than going to the LBS and paying them to do it for me).

On my east to west of back wheel 180 degree check, there was an 8mm difference between one rim and the other.

The north to south check was pretty much bang on. I did the east to west hanger bending and checked/alingned all opposite points of the wheel until the whole lot lined up exactly as I could get it.

With the back wheel back on, I ran though the indexing and with a quarter turn out of the barrel adjuster, I ran though all 21 gears and it was sweeter than it was when I first bought the bike many moons ago. Maybe the hanger was out all along?
Thanks. I've just ordered it.

Lovacott

Über Member
ThaThanks. I've just ordered it.
It comes with zero instructions (mine did anyway) but it's pretty simple to work out.

You unscrew the rear mech from the mount and pop in the thread on the alignment tool.

Then you compare the distances between opposing sides of the wheel and bend the hanger until they are all pretty much the same. I chose to do the hanger bending with an adjustable spanner rather than stress the alignment tool itself.

I had a slight kick in on my hanger which must have been causing hesitant gear changes down the freewheel. Once I'd done the hanger alignment, it was like having a brand new bike. I've literally never experienced gear changes so sweet.

I'd question whether or not hanger alignment is done manually in a bike factory before the bikes we buy get shipped out? From my own experience of Chinese mass production, probably not.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

It comes with zero instructions (mine did anyway) but it's pretty simple to work out.

You unscrew the rear mech from the mount and pop in the thread on the alignment tool.

Then you compare the distances between opposing sides of the wheel and bend the hanger until they are all pretty much the same. I chose to do the hanger bending with an adjustable spanner rather than stress the alignment tool itself.

I had a slight kick in on my hanger which must have been causing hesitant gear changes down the freewheel. Once I'd done the hanger alignment, it was like having a brand new bike. I've literally never experienced gear changes so sweet.

I'd question whether or not hanger alignment is done manually in a bike factory before the bikes we buy get shipped out? From my own experience of Chinese mass production, probably not.
Such a handy tool, as mentioned by some contributers to this thread. As for there being "zero instructions"...there's always YouTube!

Top Bottom