Damn you tossers on the road and recycling bins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I once found a friend who owns a shop in town hgitching his Defender up to a car that had been parked blocking the access to his car park. No damage appeared to have been done in the process of draggin it onto the main road, but I wish I'd hung around to see the look on the owner's face when he returned.
We used to get called to cars parked up or dumped on private property. While winking a lot id tell them that it wasn't a police matter, but if the vehicle should somehow mysteriously be dragged undamaged out onto the road while I was preoccupied filling in lots of paperwork, then the police or council would sucdenly be very interested.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If I've seen it coming and the cab has got well past, i'm quite relaxed about a HGV pulling out from 12o'clock if I'm doing a right / 3rd exit from 6 O'clock to 3'oclock on a round about in busy traffic (obv I have indicated that too), I can slow down easily enough to miss the back end of the trailer.. As you say, otherwise you'd sit for hours. I also let buses pull out in front of me..:okay:
There's many drivers out there who don't indicate and are certainly NOT relaxed about that situation though. They come round the roundabout almost on 2 wheels with horn blaring just to make their point - "why can't you magic your lorry out of the way you thick tw@t lorry driver!" Nice...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Or steam straight out from a slip road, expecting everyone to move over, even though the slip road is a give way junction, designed to give those entering the opportunity to match their speed and file in to the traffic flowing on the main highway.
They should be merges not give ways, like in USA and some parts of Germany IIRC.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We used to get called to cars parked up or dumped on private property. While winking a lot id tell them that it wasn't a police matter, but if the vehicle should somehow mysteriously be dragged undamaged out onto the road while I was preoccupied filling in lots of paperwork, then the police or council would sucdenly be very interested.
I'm surprised you admit to being a winker and confirming a widespread suspicion about police! ;)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Let's hope this is a poor attempt at humour.

Nothing funny about fuds who drive and park on walking / cycling shared paths.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So you also advocate damaging someone car? There is nothing funny about it but it doesn't mean you can take the law into your own hands.
As I explained upthread, I accidentally damaged someone's car and it was really really funny. Often, if I'm pushing the pushchair I have to make a choice, either try to shove it between the parked car and the hedge, which I may not quite be able to do without inadvertently damaging the car, or walk in the middle of the road, which in order to be safe I have to do really really slowly so I can be properly observant...

Drago

Legendary Member
There is case law where a marquee was placed across a public footpath. A passer by cut a small slot in order to carry on his lawful journey. Was found no case to answer - not merely not guilty - as there was 'lawful excuse'.

Now, I definitely do not condone it and urge anyone in that situation to think carefully, but substitute an Audi for a marquee and a pushchair for a penknife and the principle holds the same - if youre doing nothing more than reasonably attempting to walk along a public footway and despote your best reasonable efforts the Audi is damaged then there is, theoretically, no crime as you had lawful excuse for your actions.

Sure, you have a reasonable duty of care not to deliberately or recklessly go out of your way to cause damage, but the Audi Kommandant has an equal duty of care not to drive other than on a road.

Jody

Stubborn git
They said accident. Accidents happen, particularly if a car if somewhere unexpected

He always accidentally hits the wing mirror when cycling past. Doesn't sound like an accident to me? No different to those who accidentally close pass a cyclist to prove a point.

@winjim My posts aren't directed at you.

Top Bottom