Dangerous or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I try my best to do what I think will help me avoid any more accidents happening to me , I wear a helmet , I did when I had my accident and it was split almost in two by the impact of the car , some will argue that it didnt prevent injury as I still ended up in hospital , but I have to say if I ever had to hit a car head on again I would still prefer to have a helmet on to cushion the blow even if its 1%
I wear a bright top of my choice and nearly always have a velcro wrap round reflective thing on my ankle just because the motion of up and down of my foot I think makes it stand out more as I followed a cyclist who had one on once and saw him a long way away and thought it was a good idea . there are normally lights on my bike but only on at dusk or night . these are my choices , I know wearing a helmet isn't law but nothing I wear impedes me and in my eyes makes me safer . going back to op I wouldn't have said anything to the cyclist as its nothing to do with me , I would have probably have thought something but not for long

And anyway, what a strange way to make life decisions! :P

Any other examples of things we do (or things we wear!!!) purely because if someone kills me, I want my family to get a few thousand more in compo ?

I'm not making those decisions I'm just putting forward the counter argument that encouraging hiviz is creating a culture of motorists abdicating their responsibilities. When motorists get away with the things they do the culture is already there. Perhaps that means cyclists m might have to make and carry out decisions they really don't want to account for the car culture we're in. Wearing hiviz might be a component of this.

Personally where I live it's a popular area for cyclists, all day long every day of the week. Motorists kind of have to live with us! So I don't have the same issues at others seem to have on here. It's been rare we've had issues with motorists. TBH we've had more issues with cycle club groups telling us off for mot wearing the right kit like helmets. Not me because I'm a big bloke but my partner and son when I'm a bit ahead of them out of earshot. Big, brave, men every time!

Alex321

Veteran
Do you wear lights and hi viz when crossing the road? You argument applies equally to such situations.

No it doesn't.

When I am a pedestrian, I spend most of the time on the pavement, and when I have to cross the road, I look carefully tyo be sure there is nothing coming which could hit me during the fe seconds it takes.

And if I have to walk on a road with no pavements, I make sure to walk on the side where I will be facing the traffic, so I can see hat it is doing, and take avoiding action if necessary.

When I'm on my bike, I am spending almost the entire ride on the same part of the road as motorised traffic, most of which will be approaching me from behind.

A very different situation.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

No it doesn't.

When I am a pedestrian, I spend most of the time on the pavement, and when I have to cross the road, I look carefully tyo be sure there is nothing coming which could hit me during the fe seconds it takes.

And if I have to walk on a road with no pavements, I make sure to walk on the side where I will be facing the traffic, so I can see hat it is doing, and take avoiding action if necessary.

When I'm on my bike, I am spending almost the entire ride on the same part of the road as motorised traffic, most of which will be approaching me from behind.

A very different situation.

8 pedestrians a week are killed in collissions with motor vehicles.

Are you sure they shouldn't be dressed in hi-viz?

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't always wear him Vis but always try to wear something bright (or with reflectives if night).

I don't actually think it makes much difference in practice. I worked in an office near a fire station and a junction for 13 years and you would be amazed at how many times people pulled out into the path of a bright red fire engine with sirens and flashing blue lights.

I happened to be wearing his Vis when I got hit. I also happened to be riding my winter bike with hub dynamo and 70 lux LED light to German traffic standards. It was in daylight when I got hit.

It highlights that all the lights and visibility aids are useless if the driver isn't paying attention.

I am glad though that I was wearing the hi Vis jacket and had EU compliant lighting. I read what my solicitor has written and how many times he has highlighted that I had made all reasonable attempts to be seen. It surely removes any excuse of the driver saying he didn't see me when (if) it gets to court.

I agree it shouldn't be that way but unfortunately it is. I can't change the world we live in or the car-centric society. I'm not a judge or a politician. I have no interest in being one. I just want to get on with my life. If that means I need to wear bright reflective clothing to ride my bike, then so be it.

Alex321

Veteran
Not reading the whole thread but I think I get the gist....

Basically, don't leave the house. If you do then wear a thick (2-3ft ought to do it) layer of bubble wrap and also don't take any notice of what is going on around you because awareness isn't going to help.

Am I right?

No not even close.

There are a fair few comments arguing against things that haven't been said. With those arguments being against the sort of things you suggest (but without the exaggeration).

I was passed by a road bike yesterday while I was out cycling on my ebike

He was in time trial mode but had his head up so his vision would have been good

anyway - main point - he was dressed in dark read and black with a black helmet

It was a bright - even sunny - day yesterday round here and he was very easy to see for anyone looking at all

He was probably more visible that he would have been in hi-vis in yesterdays conditions as he was a block of darkness against an otherwise coloured background

I was think that he was probably easier to see than I was in my hi-vis jacket and reflective helmet!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only daft thing, and this is "if" he was using tri-bars, is that (using tri-bars in traffic). I used to have a set when I TT'ed, but they were on the bike full time. I'd use them when on a clear road, but not when in traffic as it takes far too long to get to the brakes.

Other than that, I see nothing wrong.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'll burn in cycling hell for this but I believe most drivers are perfectly capable of getting around in a safe and sound manner regardless of how visible other road users are. It's the minority who quite frankly, just don't give a sh*t. It's those fuc**rs causing all the misery out there.
We really do need seriously harsher punishments for reckless driving.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Thank you so much for responding to things I haven't written.

Sorry I don't understand the logic of your straw man applying to cyclists but not pedestrians.

There's a very fine line between 'preventing mistakes by others' and abdication of others responsibility.
It's not up to me, as a pedestrian or as a cyclist, to make drivers drive safely.

I'm not making those decisions I'm just putting forward the counter argument that encouraging hiviz is creating a culture of motorists abdicating their responsibilities. When motorists get away with the things they do the culture is already there. Perhaps that means cyclists m might have to make and carry out decisions they really don't want to account for the car culture we're in. Wearing hiviz might be a component of this.

Good. Then we're 99% on the same page :-)

Nevertheless, if you write something that is untrue, suggesting that people would be wise to wear helmets - for financial reasons, not safety - then forgive me but I will probably challenge what you write. That's how it is.

Top Bottom