dangerous tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
All of my bikes have toe overlap and I've never found a problem. It's just something to be wary of when manouvering (SP?) at very low speeds.

BigonaBianchi said:
I would not want to ride a bike with 'toe overlap' sounds dangerous to me.

May not happen with your Galaxy but I would have thought the short wheelbase, close clearances, tight frame of the Bianchi would show some overlap with shoes sized 43 or above ?

Not a problem as (IMO) it's seldom necessary to keep pedalling while the bars are on enough lock to cause a problem. (soon becomes) Second nature to just hesitate at tdc while tight turning.

maurice

Yeah I'm surprised your Bianchi doesn't have it too. My Allez does it, at about 1mph if I'm not paying attention, so not a big problem.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I could be wrong, but judging from the original poster's postings on the CTC forum about the same problem, he is not pedalling with the ball of his foot on the centre/axle position of the pedal but has his foot positioned further forwards with the claim that pedalling with the ball of his foot on the axle position of the pedal is uncomfortable.

This could explain his toe overlap problem.

pes

My Thorn MK3 has about half inch of overlap.
I was totally stressed about this when I got it. Thorn very politely told me to get on with it.

Do you know what I only noticed it the first time when I was checking it out in my kitchen. To date I have done about 300 miles and not had a single issue with it on the road. I don't even think about it now.

first road bike i ever rode was a fixie borrowed from my local bike shop,
i first noticed the toe overlap when trying to do a U turn

sometimes my road bike mud guard does clip my toe, but by the time i've realised i'm onto the next corner, the one time it is a problem is a hairpin turn to get into the back alley behind my flat when i get home :biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
The (non) issue of overlap probably depends on

a) using toe-clips - they add a few mm to the non-problem
;) shoe size
c) position of foot on pedal
d) shoe style. My Taho shoes protrude further than my MTB sport shoes (both Specialized brand) due to the design

But as 95% seem to be saying, just chillax!

Beardie

stephenjubb said:
However when my left pedal is half way up when pedalling and turning to the right my left foot catches the front wheel by two inches.
How come it doesn't happen with the right pedal when turning to the left? Are your feet different sizes?

Ravenz

here's yur answer then:
KilpatrickOneLeggedCyclist.jpg

;);)
Ravenzz_album

Ravenzz_album

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Tend to agree that it is not a major problem, but I am surprised it is occuring on the relatively long wheel base of a touring bike. I do have a little overlap on my fast road bike which causes me no problem whatever, but surley a well designed tourer should manage to avoid it?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Gerry Attrick said:
Tend to agree that it is not a major problem, but I am surprised it is occuring on the relatively long wheel base of a touring bike. I do have a little overlap on my fast road bike which causes me no problem whatever, but surley a well designed tourer should manage to avoid it?

I have a well designed light tourer/audax bike built by Dave Yates. It has toe overlap.

The Raleigh bike purchased by the original poster is more in the mould of a hybrid bike rather than a traditional tourer. Have a look for the new Raleigh Royal - it's more like the EBC fat tyred tourer/hybrids.

Top Bottom