Dangerous when your bored

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I first started driving lorries, I used to get bored on the motorway at night and find myself playing with the air suspension seat. I remember driving down the road and pulling a lever under the seat which dumped all the air out of the supports. So one moment I was driving along normally, the next the top of my head was roughly level with the dashboard and I couldn't see anything!
I also remember seeing an unfamiliar button on the dash of a Volvo tractor unit one night on the M1. For miles I drove along thinking "what does that do?" In the end my curiosity got the better of me and I pulled it - nothing. I tried again, a bit harder - still nothing. I gave it one more sharp tug and found out that it basically operated the trailer brakes. :eek: I've always managed to control my curiosity since!

Brock

Can someone lend me about twelve children and a minibus? Dayvo's game sounds ace fun! I've decided to add to the challenge by consuming 6 pints of Marston's Old Empire first. :eek:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Brock said:
Can someone lend me about twelve children and a minibus? Dayvo's game sounds ace fun! I've decided to add to the challenge by consuming 6 pints of Marston's Old Empire first. :blush:

And trying it on the Hardknott and Wrynose Pass? :eek:

OP
OP
lifeson

lifeson

Rhythm Thief said:
When I first started driving lorries, I used to get bored on the motorway at night and find myself playing with the air suspension seat. I remember driving down the road and pulling a lever under the seat which dumped all the air out of the supports. So one moment I was driving along normally, the next the top of my head was roughly level with the dashboard and I couldn't see anything!
I also remember seeing an unfamiliar button on the dash of a Volvo tractor unit one night on the M1. For miles I drove along thinking "what does that do?" In the end my curiosity got the better of me and I pulled it - nothing. I tried again, a bit harder - still nothing. I gave it one more sharp tug and found out that it basically operated the trailer brakes. :eek: I've always managed to contorl my curiosity since!

I once got bored driving and so decided to see whether I could get the tacho card out while on the M6. I could. I didn't realise however that it resets when you're doing this, and when I got back to the warehouse found that I'd spent 3 hours travelling at 0mph.

I once was bored waiting at the lights in my gas van and put my arms through the steering wheel and my fingers under the plastic trim of the dashboard in a kind of contortionist type of way - lights changed and I couldn't get my arms out :blush:

My brother used to work for a hydrological company. Three of them would go all over the country in a transit. He told me once that they were all going up the M6 with two of them fast asleep in the passenger seat when suddenly they were woken up by a cry of "Help!!" from the driver. He'd got bored and decided to see if he could fit his head through the middle of the steering wheel, subsequently and alarmingly discovering he couldn't extricate himself. My bro had to guide him onto the hard shoulder, shouting instructions like "brake, for fukc's sake", while trying not to break the guy's neck. Amusing in retrospect ... :eek:

Top Bottom