dark cycle kit!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Some of you sure like arguing for the sake of it.
Whatever you are seeking to achieve was lost from the start, so just let it go.
Wear what you like, it's all perfectly acceptable.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2212186, member: 1314"]Shopping in Jalandhar for brightly coloured clothes in which to be seen so we don't get knocked down by rickshaw cyclists on opium. That's my sis.[/quote]
User's sister is cute! Who knew?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How far away do we need to see the jogger to drive safely around him? dunno.
How far away do we need to see the jogger to avoid running into him?
Stopping-Distances.jpg

Which begs the question "if I'm doing 30mph do I need to care if I can't see someone 50metres, 100m 150m, away so long as I can see them at least 23 metres away?"

How fast might we be going on that road? Would we be doing 30mph or 60mph? What does the govt have to say? "You must not drive faster than the speed limit for the type of road and your type of vehicle. The speed limit is the absolute maximum and it doesn’t mean it’s safe to drive at this speed in all conditions."

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when
  • the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
  • sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists
  • weather conditions make it safer to do so
  • driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users.

Still not seeing what the problem is with how our more vulnerable road users are dressed.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
It is also clear that both are not equidistant from the camera and the focus is so far off that both objects are in focal planes that are not equivalent thus you can not make the comparison. Go and place a black object and a high vis object on an equivalent background (ideally a range of backgrounds ranging from black, through white, taking in greys, oranges, purples, pinks, greens and blues, i.e. typical background colours of the road, sky and foliage at different times of day - you can be more thorough and test a load of other colours in order to test for every eventuality of background that may be in sight, eg a lime green VW beetle if you like) and on the same focal plane with identical lighting and camera settings, take some pictures and then come back!

Photo0095.jpg

So which rider rider wearing a " black object and a high vis object on an equivalent background" is more clear?

Also if you can find me an image of the uk countryside resplendent in greys, oranges, purples, pinks, greens and blues during mid December i will be very impressed.

O, and this was at 11:30 am.. imagine a couple of hours later!

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
How far away do we need to see the jogger to drive safely around him? dunno.
How far away do we need to see the jogger to avoid running into him?
Stopping-Distances.jpg

Which begs the question "if I'm doing 30mph do I need to care if I can't see someone 50metres, 100m 150m, away so long as I can see them at least 23 metres away?"

How fast might we be going on that road? Would we be doing 30mph or 60mph? What does the govt have to say? "You must not drive faster than the speed limit for the type of road and your type of vehicle. The speed limit is the absolute maximum and it doesn’t mean it’s safe to drive at this speed in all conditions."

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when
  • the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
  • sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists
  • weather conditions make it safer to do so
  • driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users.

Still not seeing what the problem is with how our more vulnerable road users are dressed.

The 'thinking distance' starts from when 'you' are seen? therefore the earlier you are 'seen' the earlier the stopping distance? As you state you have had 3 instances this year where motorists havent seen you, (and i have had none, but i do wear high viz) maybe for your safety you should put aside your colour prejudices (purple is for girls) and go visible next time you choose your kit.

hoopdriver

Guru
View attachment 16567

So which rider rider wearing a " black object and a high vis object on an equivalent background" is more clear?

Also if you can find me an image of the uk countryside resplendent in greys, oranges, purples, pinks, greens and blues during mid December i will be very impressed.

O, and this was at 11:30 am.. imagine a couple of hours later!
I take your point but photos such as this can be a bit misleading. The dynamic range of a camera sensor is nowhere near that of the human eye

mattobrien

Guru
Posting photos and asking who can be seen better is fairly irrelevant to this discussion. The visibility of things in the photo is going to be down to the exposure and aperture, whereas our eyes don't work in the same way.

It's a bit like comparing apples and cats.

I also wonder if int his discussion people are confusing visible with what stands out the most. I have been keeping an eye out over the past week and paying extra attention to hi viz and non hi viz cyclist.

The good news is that I saw them all. The high viz ones may have been more noticeable but not necessarily any more visible than the non hi viz ones. I think it does come down to actually looking.

Top Bottom