dark cycle kit!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
What is it with the new fad for buying and riding around in black kit during the winter months? I get that it is slimming and you get to look like a ninja or such like, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss.
Less vanity more visibility!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Perhaps cars should only be available in high viz? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
Cars and motorbikes don't have reflective elements? Reflective strips only work when they have a light shining on them to reflect. Great at night, no use at all in the dull light of winter evenings or when cycling into a low sun. Why wear black?

A while ago I had a dark blue MG, I also drove a white works van. There were noticeably more pull-out near misses with the dark car than the white van, so much so that I took to putting on my lights when approaching certain junctions in the MG and I certainly wouldn't have a dark car again, or wear dark clothing for cycling.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Cars and motorbikes don't have reflective elements? Reflective strips only work when they have a light shining on them to reflect. Great at night, no use at all in the dull light of winter evenings or when cycling into a low sun. Why wear black?

It looks good, it goes with everything, and it doesn't show up every speck of grime. And when it comes to shorts, any other colour is a crime.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I bought a black* waterproof coat today. I will probably be wearing it when cycling. I will also be sewing on some Scotchlite tape.
I did wear it cycling tonight but also added an extra flashing rear light to the back of my helmet in addition to the steady and flashing rear and three steady front lights.

*I wanted something brighter but there wasn't any good options other then red and that would make me look like Arch and that would be silly!

Top Bottom