dark cycle kit!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
I think (and this is a good thing obviously) that cycling is experiencing a period of growth, and maybe inexperienced riders are not giving enough thought to how to approach the sport. its not how you look, if you want cool dont take up a sport where you wear tights with an ass insert, a top with pockets in the back and a polystyrene hat.
News flash everyone..we aint cool, get over it and wear something bright!
a) it's not a sport it's how you get from party to party
b) speak for yourself

Night Train

Maker of Things
Sorry Night Train I can't read your post.

The text is black.

Could you redo it in space lemon
Well, that's part of the problem.
Some people don't look, and others may need their eyes testing.

defy-one

I think (and this is a good thing obviously) that cycling is experiencing a period of growth, and maybe inexperienced riders are not giving enough thought to how to approach the sport. its not how you look, if you want cool dont take up a sport where you wear tights with an ass insert, a top with pockets in the back and a polystyrene hat.
News flash everyone..we aint cool, get over it and wear something bright!

Not too mention turning up anywhere breathing hard,sweating and wearing stupid shoes that don't work on normal pedals

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
Oh get over yourself.
A few of the members posting replies here are very experienced cyclists (some don't even wear a polystyrene hat) who probably do a lot more cycling (leisure and/or commuting) then you do. So cut the preaching ok... that is so uncool.

Like you I do around 10000 miles a year.. I have been struck recently as i am out and about by the amount of folk in dark kit, completely in black, in the dusk. This is definitely on the increase, when i was a kid everyone was cycling around in yellow System U, Raleigh Banana or other such bright kit (Kelme, Rabbobak etc).Im just interested in this move to black. It seems by the respondents that it is all all about image. Im just saying that a lycra yellow top is as quick as a lycra black top and has the added value of being more visible.

It is of course personal choice. But if you look at yourself in the mirror before you go out for a ride and think 'I look cool' rather than 'I look visible' start asking questions!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
all my helmets are black.
so are nearly all my cycling caps, though I do have a purple one.
all my shorts and longs are black. As are my shoes.
nearly all my buffs, jerseys, socks, and shells are black, and I prefer wearing the black ones over the others.
the frame on my best bike is black, as is the saddle, bar tape, the pump and the wheels.
my new mtb is black, apart from the odd bit of silver
all my tyres are black apart from the blue ones.

Frankly, black is where it is at. Black is the new black. With black knobs on.

We know a song about that don't we children....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Im just interested in this move to black. It seems by the respondents that it is all all about image. Im just saying that a lycra yellow top is as quick as a lycra black top and has the added value of being more visible.

It is of course personal choice. But if you look at yourself in the mirror before you go out for a ride and think 'I look cool' rather than 'I look visible' start asking questions!

I'd rather look in a mirror and think "I look good" than "I look like a complete ****" Not a remarkably unique state of mind.

You can wear what you want but please don't preach to the rest of us and try to make out we are deviants.

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
all my helmets are black.
so are nearly all my cycling caps, though I do have a purple one.
all my shorts and longs are black. As are my shoes.
nearly all my buffs, jerseys, socks, and shells are black, and I prefer wearing the black ones over the others.
the frame on my best bike is black, as is the saddle, bar tape, the pump and the wheels.
my new mtb is black, apart from the odd bit of silver
all my tyres are black apart from the blue ones.

Frankly, black is where it is at. Black is the new black. With black knobs on.

We know a song about that don't we children....

Your profile picture highlights how a dark top is far less visible than a simple purple top.

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
I was pretty disappointed at first with my Endura Fusion jacket I got it from an lbs but they had none in stock so I stupidly bought it blind, for a cycling jacket it has a distinct lack of reflective other than the cuffs, however with a gilet its ideal and my commute is too short to get too hot.

I use a gilet as well. Just look at the amount of black cycle clothing on sale at wiggle, chain reaction etc. I struggle to understand.. Strangely some brands seem much better than others. Mavic for instance do a lot of 'bright' kit.

Top Bottom