dark cycle kit!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2217951 said:
It must be the magic of Xmas
and there was me putting it down to blind chance.

LinchPin

Veteran
I'm not sure if puns are allowed but surely it's not "Black and White" as to whether drivers are looking or not, dare I say it's more "Grey" than that.

It would seem fair to suggest that suitably coloured clothing for the given environment would help for those drivers just giving a cursory look.

It would be interesting to know what the curve of the graph looks like for "drivers looking" I'm sure it's not a linear, probably a bell-curve everything interesting usually is.

It won't be until cars are monitoring our every move that the we'll have the data.

So it might be that 5% of drivers won't see you whatever you do and perhaps wearing hi-viz might give you more of a chance with 20-35% of drives.

--OR--

25% don't see you no matter what.
5% might see you with suitable hi-viz.

I guess people's experiences inform their decisions as to whether they think hi-viz works for them or not.

--

When I was young I'm sure there were a series of "public information films" about "be safe, be seen", with top tips to pedestrians to wear something light or carry a newspaper so that cars could see you.
Makes you wonder what happened to them perhaps we need "Charlie says: 'Don't open you car door without looking first, as you'll kill someone."

mattobrien

Guru
Oops, a new long sleeve winter jersey arrived today, from the postie, rather than Santa and its only blooming black.

It took my nearly 3/4 of an hour to find it again after I had out it down, damn these invisible colours.

On a slightly more serious note, it is possible that one is able to make a choice for reasons other than vanity? Why buy one make of car over another, is that vanity or perhaps preference?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2218915 said:
There was something lacking in my reply?
it was the very model of brevity. a classic of the genre, it said all that needed to be said, succinctly and without ambiguity....

....but I can't let that spoil my game of 'logical fallacy' bingo.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
2218915 said:
There was something lacking in my reply?

A vowel and three consonants :thumbsup:

Licramite

Über Member
If your performance on the Helmet and Army threads is anything to go by, I regard this as an endorsement.

hey you missed out my cock up on , impact speed. -

what is this with the army threads ? - what you don't believe Girls could behave that way , sweet Innocent darlings, or Trident couldn't solve our Afghan problem ? .

For clarity - HiViz cycling clothing as we know it today is made of two component materials; retro-reflective tape on a flourescent fabric garment. Retro-reflectives work by bouncing projected light back to its source by the use of very many microscopically tiny spheres. Flourescent materials are used because they show up brightly in certain light conditions, specifically the low light conditions around dawn and dusk and overcast days when ultra violet light makes up a larger percentage of the available light. In broad daylight flourescents are no brighter to the human eye than other light colours. In darkness and under most artificial light where there is no ultra violet component it becomes effectively invisible.

Licramite

Über Member
Of course the answer is very simple, wear black - just don't cycle at night.

it's only a real problem at night , I don't wear Hi-viz - I don't cycle at night. - I tend to wear a bright yelow overjacket but it's not high viz.

If the driver doesn't see you in broad daylight, wearing Hi-viz isn't going to help , (well it will a bit obviousely) but it's more likely he is'nt looking.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Out yesterday morning,passed by a Volvo estate with no more than 6 inches between bar and mirror.

Now, was I wearing black or fluoro? Was my sister wearing black or fluoro?

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.

Top Bottom