dark cycle kit!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The point of the thread was never that bright coloured clothing could or should take the place of lights ( especially 150 quid rear lights ). In fact it was never about high vis clothing, just why people choose (and it is a choise that I respect) to buy and wear cycle specific clothing that is dark while riding in low light conditions.

I am not interested in youths cycling around in hoodies, or for that matter business folk commuting in suit trousers. They have not chosen their clothes specifically for cycling. They are inadvertently making themselves harder to see...it's more the bloke who turns out on a dark overcast morning for a winter reliability ride wearing head to toe black Assos gear. The chances are that the kit came in red, yellow, white or blue but they chose to buy the black one. Now did they give more consideration into how appropriate that colour was to cycling or how slimming/cool/ninja it was going to make them look?

The whole 24 pages of this thread highlight that its vanity that dictates most cycle clothing choise ie

Don't want to look like a lemon
Would rather be dead than wear high viz
There is only one rule, that is never wear white kit

Learned bugger-all since post #1, then? Good job it was such riotous fun along the way. Oh, wait...

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
Learned bugger-all since post #1, then? Good job it was such riotous fun along the way. Oh, wait...

And there I was today descending at 95 km an hour ( according to the garmin ) dressed completely in black kit..you would have been proud.

GarminDave

Regular
I think wearing hi viz often attracts motorists to drive closer to you as they perceive you are a sensible rider. Wearing a flapping mac and wobbling about and the motorists give you more room, IMHO.

I motorcycle and cycle in black and choose to wear hi viz when I think it appropriate; the key here is thinking about the choices you make. Governments would nanny you all to wear helmets, hi viz, eye protection and ear defenders from cradle to grave. I am all for let the rider decide and therefore take the responsibility for those choices.

At 6'3" and too many stones in weight wearing black is about function rather than vanity also not having my invisible armour of hi viz I assume no one can see me and ride/cycle accordingly.

Just my two penny worth....

Later

Dave

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
2327230 said:
You have gone over to the dark side

Nope, I'm skiing..seemed like appropriate coloured clothing.....plus I look so slim and cool ( apart from the look of fear that is on my face at most times ) I would rather be cycling up these things than plummeting down them.

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
Wow, this thread is still going........... is it still cyclical?

It's had a little slow down, but yes amazingly it's still going..I guess if I post something contentious, like "bright cloathing is more visible in poor light conditions when cycling than dark cloathing", more outrage will be forthcoming!!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's had a little slow down, but yes amazingly it's still going..I guess if I post something contentious, like "bright cloathing is more visible in poor light conditions when cycling than dark cloathing", more outrage will be forthcoming!!
Too right. Cafe folk are sticklers for correct spelling.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Be sure to let me know when the winner is announced.

Top Bottom