Dark Side Of The Moon

Dark Side Of The Moon Like It or Loathe it?

• Pile of Pants!

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Work of Utter Sublime Genius

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Bay City Rollers were better.

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a good album, but certainly not may favourite PF album. DSOTM marks the point where Pink Floyd ceased to be an interesting and often challenging band and found mega stardom slap bang in the middle of the road. DSOTM was not only the blueprint for the future of Floyd, but also a blueprint for middle of the road middle aged dad rock that perpetuates to this day.

I'd much rather listen to A Saucer Full of Secrets, Ummagumma, Relics, Atom Heart Mother or Obscured By Clouds.
That's exactly how I feel.

My older sister had all of the early PF albums and I thought they were great. When DSOTM came out, all of my friends bought it so I heard it a lot, but I preferred the earlier stuff. As time has gone by, that feeling has become stronger.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'd much rather listen to A Saucer Full of Secrets, Ummagumma, Relics, Atom Heart Mother or Obscured By Clouds.
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn for me please

t's a good album, but certainly not may favourite PF album. DSOTM marks the point where Pink Floyd ceased to be an interesting and often challenging band and found mega stardom slap bang in the middle of the road. DSOTM was not only the blueprint for the future of Floyd, but also a blueprint for middle of the road middle aged dad rock that perpetuates to this day.

THIS x10

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It sounded extremely good if you were sitting in a student room at three in the morning having smoked far too much Afghan Black......maaaaan.

Was you that spotty kid in the corner with the Afro and the Tank Top?

If so, I remember you.

Sorry if it is the wrong student room - the one I was thinking of had cream coloured walls, a chocolate coloured ceiling and an orange diagonal stripe that went up one wall, across the ceiling and down another wall. Set off nicely with acid yellow and lime green sofas.

Those were the days!

Games of darts whilst stoned & 'chicks' (historical reference - I know it's not PC these days) who you used to fancy like mad despite wearing those smelly Afghan coats and whose skin was smothered in essence of Patchouli.....

And DSOTM pounding out through some crappy speakers, an over cranked amp' and a Garrard SP25 deck with a cartridge that always had fluff on the needle.

Nostalgia - *leeding wonderful. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE 3344130, member: 259"]It's quite good, but I can't stand the one with that awful "opera" singing on it. When it came out I was more into trying to have sex with girls and dancing, so it didn't have much of an impact on me.

If I had to listen to a Pink Floyd album, I'd also much prefer Wish You Were Here.[/QUOTE]

That was the main strength of these albums

No throwing yourself around the dance floor dancing like a nutter

These were albums for sitting on a sofa and sharing a bottle of wine type albums

Much less sweaty and far more dignified

..... And as successful!

Firestorm

Veteran
Never been one for anything "fancy"
Cant stand Sgt Peppers , DSOTM , tubular bells. Seven Wives of Henry 8th. A night at the opera or anything by genesis.
Lead,bass,Drums and Vocals. 3-4 minutes and preferably lyrics about Girls , Drink or moaning about the system

Slightly OT....

A reasonable tribute?

Until at a tour supporting Dave Gilmour..... they announced Syd's address to the audience. Gilmour was appalled and removed them from the tour

hoopdriver

Guru
Hmmm. My recollections of DSOTM were of LPs throbbing in darkened 1970s dormitory rooms, empty wine bottles used as candle holders with multi colours of wax dripped down the sides, and the fragrance in the rooms was not from joss sticks. I never knew anyone but callow university students listened to it ...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hmmm. My recollections of DSOTM were of LPs throbbing in darkened 1970s dormitory rooms, empty wine bottles used as candle holders with multi colours of wax dripped down the sides, and the fragrance in the rooms was not from joss sticks. I never knew anyone but callow university students listened to it ...
And all sitting around nodding their heads and pretending to get what it was all about.

Top Bottom