Database for Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

On Mark and Ju's site there is a table showing where to find meths in a range of countries. I wonder if the idea could be extended, not only to other fuels, but to ALL resources a cycle tourist needs.​

There must be a demand for a comprehensive data base of what is available in different countries, how to find them, how to ask for them, and how much they cost. It could be regularly kept up to date and corrected by other cyclists. It would be a great place to store (in a sensible order) the useful info that comes out of many threads on this forum.​

The categories could include: road conditions, fuels, water supplies, food supplies, accomodation, bike repairs and spares, transport, visa info, maps, dangers etc​

These would then break down further: accomodation{wild camping, campsites, hostels, cheap hotels}, fuels{meths, gas, gasoline, etc}.​

On each table there would need to be the current price, the vocabulary to ask for it, where to find it etc.​

Perhaps this site or crazyguyonabike could be extended to do this? or wikipedia or wikitravel. Or perhaps I should have a bash at getting it started. what do you all think?

raybo

Guru
An on-line bike touring archive is exactly what my goal was/is with www.biketouringtips.com .

My original idea was that every time someone takes a bike tour, they learn something about the places they've been. I wanted to capture that information so that we could all learn from others' experiences.

My original idea was to "build it and they would come." But, no one entered much after I built it. So, I began filling up the database myself. First, I added my own tips and then I started looking around and finding things I though were useful. I now have over 1200 entries.

But, I haven't ridden in every country so I have to rely on what others post on the internet. People like Mark and Ju, among others, help a lot when they post their experiences for others to find.

Anyone can enter tips into biketouringtips.com after a free registration. It would be great to have you and others locating/writing useful information and adding it to the archive.

Ray

snorri

Legendary Member
hubbike said:
what do you all think?
Seems a pity to dampen your enthusiasm, but:sad:
It would mean carrying a massive amount of paperwork or some electronic means of accessing the information and that would mean carrying battery charging equipment, more gear in the panniers, more worries about theft, or insurance cover.
Usually the information can be gleaned from locals along the way, in fact being lost or asking where some item can be sourced is an excellent opportunity for interaction with local people which is surely one of the joys of touring. Being independent is all very well, but a bit of social mingling can often often lead to an invitation to a home or club or pub or at least some further information on points of interest in the area.

ASC1951

Guru
hubbike said:
There must be a demand for a comprehensive data base of what is available in different countries,

what do you all think?
All sounds a bit anal to me. I'm with Snorri - have a rough idea of where you are going and what you will need, then use the equipment between your ears when you get there.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

Snorri, it won't weigh anything because it will be a website (like crazyguy, cyclechat or wikipedia) and can be accessed at an internet cafe. Interaction with locals would actually be enhanced because you would have a few words to play with. And you may be playing with them in the right place (the pharmacy instead of the hardware shop for example). And having a rough idea of prices can help budget for a longer trip.

Don't think it is anal for cyclists to want to share their knowledge/experience. is cyclechat anal? is crazyguyonabike anal?

snorri

Legendary Member
hubbike said:
can be accessed at an internet cafe.
Why bring in a third party? When on tour in some foreign part, I just don't think it makes sense to ask a local person for the location of an internet cafe when what I really want is a shop selling gas/cycle components/tent pegs or whatever I need. :laugh:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
hubbike said:
come on. lots of people use the internet when away to stay in touch with friends, etc.

I don't.

One of my principle aims when touring is to get away from it all. In twelve weeks worth of touring I used an Internet cafe once.

I carry a mobile phone and used it to update a blog for my LEJOG and JOGLE rides but didn't bother for my Channel to Med ride.I enjoyed keeping a traditional written log more. Using a mobile phone to do a blog was laborious and the rural areas that I chose to ride through were sparsely populated with Internet Cafes.

Asking locals for the whereabouts of establishments that stock something that you want often leads to interesting conversations and the offering of amazing favours.

andym

Über Member
In defence of hubbike I don't see anything in his suggestion that would require you to have internet access - I would have though it would be quite useful to be able to print out a list of useful words and phrases before setting off on a trip.

The list of words for meths seems a very good example. If I'm faced with a set of colourless liquids in a supermarket in a remote village I for one would think it's quite useful to know which one is meths and which one's aren't. But then of course maybe I'm a bit anal. Sod it, stick white spirit in your Trangia what could possibly go wrong?

OP
OP
H

hubbike

I'm probably a bit anal too. hey ho.

Also I have put white spirit in my trangia, but my eyebrows have grown back now.

Screw it, probably a daft idea then, eh? better just to get stuck in to the rough and tumble. . .

mike1026

Those who can do
Those who can't teach
Those who can't do or teach criticise!
Raybo, great site congratulations on your hard work, I will register and use it.

vernon

andym said:
In defence of hubbike I don't see anything in his suggestion that would require you to have internet access - I would have though it would be quite useful to be able to print out a list of useful words and phrases before setting off on a trip.

The list of words for meths seems a very good example. If I'm faced with a set of colourless liquids in a supermarket in a remote village I for one would think it's quite useful to know which one is meths and which one's aren't. But then of course maybe I'm a bit anal. Sod it, stick white spirit in your Trangia what could possibly go wrong?

No need to learn any words for meths alternatives. Just buy the local spirit and burn that and drink the surplus when you find some meths.. But if you insist upon a word list here's a few to get you going:

Grappa
Metaxa
Cognac
Ouzo
Absinthe
Rum
Whiskey
Whisky
;)

ASC1951

Guru
hubbike said:
Don't think it is anal for cyclists to want to share their knowledge/experience.
I agree, of course it isn't; and online logbooks and archives are often an inspiration.

What I can't get along with is the idea of approaching anything - but especially not a free-spirit activity like cycle touring - with the degree of planning and preparation where you find yourself consulting databases. The whole point of travel is the unexpected. Commonsense and adaptability is what you need, not 17 different words for meths.

vernon

ASC1951 said:
I agree, of course it isn't; and online logbooks and archives are often an inspiration.

What I can't get along with is the idea of approaching anything - but especially not a free-spirit activity like cycle touring - with the degree of planning and preparation where you find yourself consulting databases. The whole point of travel is the unexpected. Commonsense and adaptability is what you need, not 17 different words for meths.

With you all the way.

The only things I knew about my LEJOG and JOGLE rides were the start dates, the first days' approximate route and the end points but not the dates.

For my Channel to Med ride. It was important that I get to the end point for a specified date otherwise I'd miss the coach back. The rest of the ride was plotted on a daily basis and the daily schedule was still fairly flexible.

I coped with having to buy replacement cycling shoes, a new rear wheel and obtaining directions to escape from the tangle of roads surrounding Lyons as well as the usual transactions in restaurants, shops, cafes and camp sites.

It's the out of the ordinary events that add the enjoyment to tours. A well planned (my mate knows where he will by by the hour to the nearest 100m or thereabouts and has to know which camp site has been booked in advance - months in advance! - wild camping is a non starter in his books) would kill me with boredom.

Top Bottom