Dave Davenport - a year on.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Tomorrow (8th June) is the first anniversary of the traffic incident that led to Dave losing his life. Dave was a respected member of this forum and an active member of the local cycling scene through his involvement with Sotonia CC.

I didn’t know Dave personally beyond a few DMs and a failed attempt to meet up at a TdF stage a number of years ago, but it turns out we had quite a few mutual acquaintances. Also, the incident occurred a few minutes ride from my home and at a junction that I and many others cycle regularly. It’s a popular route out of the city for cyclists of all stamps.

For this mix of reasons I’ve been following the aftermath of the incident and had planned to attend the inquest if possible, partly to pay my respects but also understand why the incident occurred. I’d never thought of this junction as particularly dangerous or unusual.

The full inquest was originally scheduled for 10th March this year but I believe it was de-listed and hasn’t been rescheduled. It’s possible that I’ve just missed it but I can’t find any report of it taking place. If anyone has an update on this and is happy to pass it on, please DM me.

Information about the incident in the press is very limited so, although I have my theories on what happened, I really really wouldn’t want to speculate. Also, I’ve not seen any reports of action being taken against the driver but have no idea whether this is due to an ongoing investigation, court delays or simply that no charges have been brought. Again, I don’t think it’d be right to run to judgement without any available facts.

This memorial is still in place at the junction.

C18D402C-D278-430B-936C-21411539E831.jpeg

Finally, sympathies to Dave’s family and friends. This must be a difficult time of year for them.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That’s a lovely post. I’m glad he’s still on your heart.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A sombre reminder. I tend to avoid 'rider down' and similar posts so this did unfortunately escape my attention, but still a sad loss for everyone, including those that only encountered his online presence.

A bit closer to home for me perhaps as I could easily have been a similar story after an RTC that was potentially life ending in 2018. These incidents do highlight the frailty of human life and hopefully the memorial makes just a few drivers think about the seriousness of their actions, intentional or otherwise?

Slick

Guru
Unfortunately, I don't have any updates on this, but like you, I tried to keep up with an incident that happened on my route to work that saw a cyclist killed a couple of years ago now and like you came up with nothing. There is no ghost bike, and nothing online to explain how or why a young girl who was a newly qualified driver could just drive into the back of a cyclist and kill him. Obviously, it stuck with me as it could easily have been me, but it was the attitude of workmates that struck me at the time, as their sympathies immediately went to the driver, although a number of them had daughters of a similar age. This was a stranger to me, but like you, I think of him often and wonder if he had family able to find out exactly what happened to him.

I do hope that you get to the bottom of what happened to Dave. 👍

grldtnr

It seems Cyclist are always going to be the victim on the roads, unfairly , we cyclist are looked upon as s problem.
It needn't be, on the continent various countries celebrate &respect cycling, untill that view at home changes things will not change, 'we ' are the problem, not the solution, whilst media promotes the car on basis of speed , glamour convenience, things will not change.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks all for the kind comments. While it's easy to dismiss the forum as just something on t'internet, there is a real community here and many members will have met each other, ridden together, enjoyed the occasional snifter and in one case even got married. With that in mind I couldn't let today pass without some sort of acknowledgement and update for those that remember him from his time on CC.

I appreciate that the lack of info around the circumstances of his death a year on is frustrating but it wasn't my intention to trigger more a general debate around cycling safety here.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've often wondered what the circumstances were. I never met Dave, but he bought a bike from me a couple of months before he died. As this was during lockdown and travel was restricted he was unable to pick it up himself, but his daughter lives in the next villiage and it was she who called to collect, Dave picking it up from her later.

I've still got the PMs he sent and he came across as a really nice guy, I was shocked when I heard what had happened.

Top Bottom