Dawes Cambridge Mixte - errand bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
It's an old French design for a general town bike, and now and again it makes a come-back in that exact genre, as it were. Here's an article:
Mixte
Thank you, that was an interesting read. There were some lovely Charge mixtes a while back, I think.

They have a certain style; I'd like one in a pale metallic blue, please.
wouldn’t that be beautiful 🤩 There is a Pashley one in a pale green, but I like your pale metallic blue idea more.

Just did my local 4 mile loop with my daughter on her new bike. Turns out I’ll never win any races with her if I’m on the mixte! I can carry a tub of jelly babies in the basket though.

They have a certain style; I'd like one in a pale metallic blue, please.
wouldn’t that be beautiful 🤩 There is a Pashley one in a pale green, but I like your pale metallic blue idea more.
If there's ever enough money, maybe I'll have this one pwder coated in just that colour, how'd that be? At the same time, maybe an extra bridge across the lower downtubes to mount a decent brake on!

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

If there's ever enough money, maybe I'll have this one pwder coated in just that colour, how'd that be? At the same time, maybe an extra bridge across the lower downtubes to mount a decent brake on!
I am outrageously late replying, but yes, that would work beautifully!

Another question please. One of my brake levers has snapped off at the end. I think the bike must have fallen somewhere or been knocked when parked. I was going to have a go at replacing just that one as it doesn’t look too hard according to you-tube (wide eyed innocence/naivety) but haven’t found a perfect match online yet. So I might have to do them both with a different lever. Do I need to know anything else apart from the diameter of the handlebar and the type of brakes? Photos follow. Thank you.
edit - not sure why that last photo is upside down..

Attachments

• FF39011E-5548-4EDB-A9C0-16ABF7AD605B.jpeg
    FF39011E-5548-4EDB-A9C0-16ABF7AD605B.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8
  • F5CDC96B-5746-4CB6-B914-8DFDF10EE031.jpeg
    F5CDC96B-5746-4CB6-B914-8DFDF10EE031.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 10
  • A9193017-EF3B-4322-9EDD-4D8AA03EBE77.jpeg
    A9193017-EF3B-4322-9EDD-4D8AA03EBE77.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 129D084F-6902-45E0-8B14-B46EC6D4EBF8.jpeg
    129D084F-6902-45E0-8B14-B46EC6D4EBF8.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 7

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes virtually any pair of flat bar levers will work, they should say "direct pull" or "V brake" compatible but 99.9% of levers like that are for v brakes, and yes check clamp diameter.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Wheels with that few spokes are just wrong! :eek:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't get me wrong, if I had a buckshee set of such wheels knocking around, I would use them on something - but probably only on a beater bike I didn't care about the appearance of. I really can't find any love for wheels that look like half the spokes are missing.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Every day’s a school day in this place 😀 New brake levers ordered. I shall do some spoke counting later.

Top Bottom