Dawes Diploma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Picked up an old Dawes on eBay - not freewheeling, gears out of adjustment (Sturmey Archer 3-speed) brakes pretty ropey etc. Have started to fix it and do it up, and took it for a test ride last night.

Next jobs are a new saddle and pedals, and a nice tool bag and so on, to make myself a 'gentleman's tourer'.
20160606_152556.jpg

Good luck, more images would be good

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice. :becool:

To cure the freewheel I'd get some oil into the hub but also have a look at the cone adjustment, they seem to need to be quite slack (in comparison to a 'normal' wheel) When I had my hub built into a wheel it was a bit 'stiff' to freewheel and I said to John that I'd run some thin oil/WD40 into the oiling port thinking it'd be just old oil/grease in there and a bit of corrosion but he told me that I'd need to adjust the cones so I checked em and they felt fine (the axle turned nicely but without a chain on) however I decided to loosen them off a bit to allow the Oil to get in there and flush em out and that cured it, without there being any play at the wheel rim.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Nice. :becool:

To cure the freewheel I'd get some oil into the hub but also have a look at the cone adjustment, they seem to need to be quite slack (in comparison to a 'normal' wheel) When I had my hub built into a wheel it was a bit 'stiff' to freewheel and I said to John that I'd run some thin oil/WD40 into the oiling port thinking it'd be just old oil/grease in there and a bit of corrosion but he told me that I'd need to adjust the cones so I checked em and they felt fine (the axle turned nicely but without a chain on) however I decided to loosen them off a bit to allow the Oil to get in there and flush em out and that cured it, without there being any play at the wheel rim.

Spot on! I did a bit of research, and the cone on the non-drive side needed loosening; apparently you mess with the cones of the drive side of a Sturmey Archer at your peril!

loads of good google replies on sturmey archer setting up

Thanks. I did just that, and I think the gears are about right now - clue is a lovely gentle ticking in second and third as I coast along! And a 'neutral' between second and third.

Just remembered I need a rear mudguard as well <shuffles off to eBay> :whistle:

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Is that a fully sprung saddle or one of the nasty late clones with a hard plastic base?

Hmm - have to admit I don't know. Will take a closer look tomorrow (it's dark and spidery in the garage at the moment! :unsure:)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom