Dawes Double Blue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
That looks ACE. I ask merely out of curiosity, why did you change the fork?
I replaced them as they weren't the originals , which would have been half chromed. I may paint the top section to match the frame later in the year.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Those little mudguards are a real period piece. I remember when all junior racers had them. Goodness knows what the idea behind them was.

I must admit that I crudely cut forks down with a hacksaw and then get them square and smooth by filing. I'm not going to buy a fork cutting guide for a two- or three-times-a-lifetime job. I imagine a mitre saw with a metal cutting blade would do a nice job.
What I did was to put some masking tape around the steerer tube where I was going to cut . I then measured down from the top in several places around the tape making a mark each time. I then joined up each mark with straight line. I cut the tube with a hacksaw carefully following the line. The cut didn't need truing, just de burring.
I forgot to mention that I screwed a top nut on before making the cut so that it would help clean the threads after filing.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I like the little mudguards, reminds me of bikes in the '70s, I bought a couple of them got my TdF from someone on CC last year.

carpenter

Über Member
Cheers, I had a look - only needs a step by step guide now!

Top Bottom