Dawes Double Blue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
looks lovely :smile:

Interesting that you find the centre pulls effective on steel wheels - that has been my opinion, but I have seen quite a few people make quite disparaging remarks about both in terms of braking efficiency. I guess that it is down to having good brake pads.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Yes I was a bit surprised! I can only go from memory of riding steel wheels back in the early 70's as my other bikes have aluminium rims. I think side pulls tend to be better at stopping than centre pulls but once applied can stay rubbing on one side. The brakes fitted to this bike certainly stop better than any of my other bikes.
I'll have to try going down Long Deane from Castle Combe to see how effective they are. Going down there on my Raleigh Granada almost terrified me last year.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes I was a bit surprised! I can only go from memory of riding steel wheels back in the early 70's as my other bikes have aluminium rims. I think side pulls tend to be better at stopping than centre pulls but once applied can stay rubbing on one side. The brakes fitted to this bike certainly stop better than any of my other bikes.
I'll have to try going down Long Deane from Castle Combe to see how effective they are. Going down there on my Raleigh Granada almost terrified me last year.
Has it got Fibrax pads fitted, they were great on steel wheels but just ate Ally rims.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
No, not all do,

View attachment 446315
But they made ones specific for steel rims that give excellent braking, they even made blocks with leather inserts for wet weather.
I will take them off and have another look tomorrow.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I think the better braking may simply be down to leverage. The picture of my bike side on may illustrate what I mean. The distance between the pivot point of the brake to the rim is shorter than most of my other brakes. The wheels are 27 inch and the brake blocks just clear the tyre! There is no way that 700's could fit with these brakes!
I'm coming round to thinking that the shorter arms are applying more pressure to the rim under braking and therefore greater braking effect.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think the better braking may simply be down to leverage. The picture of my bike side on may illustrate what I mean. The distance between the pivot point of the brake to the rim is shorter than most of my other brakes. The wheels are 27 inch and the brake blocks just clear the tyre! There is no way that 700's could fit with these brakes!
I'm coming round to thinking that the shorter arms are applying more pressure to the rim under braking and therefore greater braking effect.

Back in the 1980's one of our LBS's used to stock an outer cable meant for a moped, he used to keep a drum of it behind the counter and sell it by the yard. We used it to replace the standard outer cable and improve the bikes braking.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Back in the 1980's one of our LBS's used to stock an outer cable meant for a moped, he used to keep a drum of it behind the counter and sell it by the yard. We used it to replace the standard outer cable and improve the bikes braking.
I replaced the front wheel with an ally one the other day just to see what effect it had on the ride and discovered that the braking was worse!

I would have thought that a complete moped brake cable might be better.

Top Bottom