Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

All that's left is a very stuck seatpost :cursing:

Grabbing some various chemicals this weekend to try and wrench it free then it's off to get blasted & powder coated.

I'm thinking british racing green as I still have the tan hoods kindly gifted to me by @Vantage , which I will match with some nice brown or tan bar tape.
Or, go with the deep red as seen on @Vantage 's Dawes posted on the 1st page of this thread.

Any other colours please throw in some suggestions?!

All that's left is a very stuck seatpost :cursing:

Grabbing some various chemicals this weekend to try and wrench it free then it's off to get blasted & powder coated.

I'm thinking british racing green as I still have the tan hoods kindly gifted to me by @Vantage , which I will match with some nice brown or tan bar tape.
Or, go with the deep red as seen on @Vantage 's Dawes posted on the 1st page of this thread.

Any other colours please throw in some suggestions?!
I'm for british racing green* - always been a fave - maybe under the influence of a childhood racing car set - good for freecamping as well - so speed and chilled associations all in one.

(no disrespect to vantage's choices)

* and that oddball shop Hobbycraft sells a modelpaint that is a close match for touch-ups.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I'm for british racing green* - always been a fave - maybe under the influence of a childhood racing car set - good for freecamping as well - so speed and chilled associations all in one.

(no disrespect to vantage's choices)

* and that oddball shop Hobbycraft sells a modelpaint that is a close match for touch-ups.
I quite like the colour of the current Aston Martin F1 Car - 00352F is the colour code, surely a powder coating company could order or make that colour?

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Stick the post in a vice and use the frame as leverage, I’ve never failed to remove one using this method
This is the plan for Sunday, the guy who owns the land where my girlfriends horse is stabled is a hydraulics engineer & has plenty of stuff in his garage/workshop I plan to make use of!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need to be very careful using the above method with an aluminium frame, in fact I'd advise against it as likelihood of damage is very high.
You could try this:

"Warm the frame up with a hair dryer. Even though the post and frame are both Alum, you might get the frame to expand a little more since the tubing is thinner and will heat up quicker. You could also try icing the seatpost or use co2 and then warm the frame with a hair dryer. Also try CLR instead of WD40.24 Mar 2015"

I quite like the colour of the current Aston Martin F1 Car - 00352F is the colour code, surely a powder coating company could order or make that colour?
no idea - not my area of expertise - but will follow your progress with intererest, particularly if you do go for BRG.

Gunk

Guru
You need to be very careful using the above method with an aluminium frame, in fact I'd advise against it as likelihood of damage is very high.
You could try this:

"Warm the frame up with a hair dryer. Even though the post and frame are both Alum, you might get the frame to expand a little more since the tubing is thinner and will heat up quicker. You could also try icing the seatpost or use co2 and then warm the frame with a hair dryer. Also try CLR instead of WD40.24 Mar 2015"

I’ve done it with loads of ally frames, carefully tap the seat post first to break the seal (not too hard or you’ll loose it!) A heat gun or hairdryer is a good shout, although I’ve never needed to do that as they’ve always broken free.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

You could try this:

I'm almost certain I have a steel frame so should be ok! I do have a heat gun so will give that a go as well, I'll no doubt be trying many methods as it is very stuck and I've already cut it down a bit seeing as drilling a hole through, putting a bolt in & trying to hammer it out failed.

I've only been using WD-40 however - this worked on the BB but I'm going to need some more powerful penetrating oil to get this post out I reckon.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd worry about getting the seatpost out of your STEEL frame before anything else.

Plusgas has bigger balls than WD40

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Have a look at the derailleur hanger. If it's bolt on your frame is alloy. The Dawes Vantage came about when the Horizon got a better steel frame. My Vantage had the same ovalized fatter down tube and it was alloy.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have a look at the derailleur hanger. If it's bolt on your frame is alloy. The Dawes Vantage came about when the Horizon got a better steel frame. My Vantage had the same ovalized fatter down tube and it was alloy.
I reckon that this photo on page 1 from the OP suggests it steel:laugh:

1648544749169.png

Top Bottom