Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I really like @Vantage 's Dawes Vantage from earlier in the thread in a dark red/burgundy colour. But then part of me wants to add some fat horizontal stripes on the seat tube...

I miss that colour. It got alot of nice comments from everyone around. I'm thinking I might get the current Wayfarer redone that colour or variant of it when it's due. Saw a Mazda something or other that had an absolutely gorgeous shade of metallic red a couple days ago. Wish I'd stopped and asked the owner about it!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I miss that colour. It got alot of nice comments from everyone around. I'm thinking I might get the current Wayfarer redone that colour or variant of it when it's due. Saw a Mazda something or other that had an absolutely gorgeous shade of metallic red a couple days ago. Wish I'd stopped and asked the owner about it!
That's probably what Mazda call Soul Red Crystal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@RyanOP,
I’m using 700c x 28s, the tyres are Schwalbe Marathons. There isn’t a lot of room but I think I could fit 700c x 32s , but not 38s. The rims are Mavic 3CDs, there’s not a lot of room between the rims and the inner face of the forks for the brake pads, but enough. I dont think you’ll ha a problem with the rims describe earlier in the thread. I attach a close-up picture of the front brakes. You can see I have fitted mudguards - SKS Bluemel hybrid size, and I think I’ll fit 32s underneath them. The brake cable might preclude bigger mudguards.
View attachment 540336

The BB for the Galaxy is UN55 with 68mm shell width with English threads and a spindle length of 110mm, which suits the triple crankset.

The paint job on the Galaxy is a simple single colour, without metallics or other additives. These would have increased the job cost.

Powder coating is less expensive but may provide less corrosion protection as there’s no primer coat, if the powder coat is damaged. One option would be to get the main colour done in a paint shop then add any other colours (banding) yourself - not something I have any experience of I’m afraid.

I hope you manage to find a local paint shop in Hull. I lived there in 2018-19 but didn’t come across one locally.
I think 28s are plenty on a road touring bike, I use em on the Ridgeback and 25s on the Raleigh 'light tourer' but then I also have the option of the Raleigh 'Outlander' set up as a heavy tourer/adventure bike with 1.85" Scwalbe 'Landcruisers' if I going on farm tracks etc.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Got the degreaser out on Sunday morning, now I can actually read the letters & numbers on my cassette and it’s exactly the same as the new one I’ve bought! Looks decent for now and will suffice until I put the shiny one on ^_^

Look at the state of that RD thoughxx( that’s as clean as I could get it until my hand cramped up from scrubbing...

Attachments

• 735AB5A5-1F1F-42A8-9FB4-1F4E979AEE01.jpeg
    735AB5A5-1F1F-42A8-9FB4-1F4E979AEE01.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
  • BDE94090-E4ED-4CF4-A207-EB36BF0AA463.jpeg
    BDE94090-E4ED-4CF4-A207-EB36BF0AA463.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 8C689B48-ECC0-4EA2-850C-098049EAE91D.jpeg
    8C689B48-ECC0-4EA2-850C-098049EAE91D.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing good!

I'm getting paid this Friday and I am in urgent need of new brakes as I have given up on fettling with them. The front right pad rubs on the rim as I ride, but it means I can actually brake when I need to. If I adjust even slightly to stop the pad from rubbing, I then cannot brake at all. I've tried adjusting the pads using a very helpful (as always) parktool video but still no joy.

But alas, they are Tektro Oryx's so I planned on getting rid anyway... I know that @Scotstounman mentioned the mini v brakes but, I quite like the look of canti's and if I can get a better set would probably stick to them.

My concern is getting the right brakes for my wheel size and allowing for clearance for my mudguards (when I get them) and also that will match up to a new set of brake levers that I'll get when I change over to DT shifters. I read that some brakes don't work with certain levers?

I'll have a flick back through the thread later (I'm supposed to be working right now!) as I'm sure someone has mentioned how to get the right brakes before. If anyone has additional guidance they can give or web links/videos that would be great!

Not thread related - but my house seems to be all on track and I hope to have the keys in late Sept :biggrin:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
STOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
Earlier in the thread I posted that I'd been using Sun Race down tube shifters and had no real issues with them. That wasn't to say I had no issues at all with them, just no serious ones.
I must now apologise as the one little niggle I had with them was in fact (others may disagree) a big problem.
Whilst I could index the gears on a workstand, in the real world the gears would rarely line up perfectly and would sometimes shift up or down a gear while riding. Bloody annoying when climbing a 14% incline.
Having splashed out on the £60 Dura Ace DT shifters I said were too posh for me I now have perfectly working indexed gears through the range.
Do yourself a favour Ryan and do NOT buy the £25 SunRace shifters I previously recommended coz they're crap! The ratchet mechanism is sloppy as a jellyfishes arse.

Regarding your current issue with brakes, I may be in a position to offer help.
It just so happens that in my spares box, I have a pair of barely used Dia compe 287 V brake levers (tan hood's) and 2 pairs of barely used silver Alivio V brakes with pads that have plenty of life left in them. Yours for the price of postage if you're interested. (barely used as in about a years worth of cycling but looked after) but they'll need new cables.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Phew! Saved me a faff there @Vantage! I only ended up ordering a new tub of grease and some new gear cables in preparation. I was hovering my mouse over the 'order' button with the dt shifters and brakes in my basket but I decided to remove them and wait for a reply on here. I'm so glad I did!

That is very kind of you! Are you sure? I would be more than happy to pay something towards them on top of postage? Still gives me a saving which I can put in a pot for the Dura Ace's :becool:

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd bump this thread to make sure you all know this project is not forgotten!

I'm nearing the home stretch of my house reno which has been guzzling the £'s since September last year, hoping to get in for June I'd say :okay:

I can't wait to get moved in and crack on with this project.

Hope you're all well and keeping sane!:becool:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd bump this thread to make sure you all know this project is not forgotten!

I'm nearing the home stretch of my house reno which has been guzzling the £'s since September last year, hoping to get in for June I'd say :okay:

I can't wait to get moved in and crack on with this project.

Hope you're all well and keeping sane!:becool:
My Raleigh 'City'3 speeder took 4 years to complete, then again I did shatter my Femur into 3 pieces whilst in the middle of converting it.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I started following my local paint shop ready for when I eventually get to repaint my Dawes - mostly cars & motorbikes which look nice but saw this the other day and… WOW.
Not sure it’d work on the Dawes though :scratch:

Attachments

• BA99362D-AD17-409E-8475-A6B7D3A0D491.png
    BA99362D-AD17-409E-8475-A6B7D3A0D491.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 05173C27-70DB-4989-A7E2-B22CA4AD8691.jpeg
    05173C27-70DB-4989-A7E2-B22CA4AD8691.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 18
  • B527EE60-896E-432B-8FA7-7D15D9149EB3.jpeg
    B527EE60-896E-432B-8FA7-7D15D9149EB3.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 97047D0C-FA07-452C-A6EB-68C703229D61.jpeg
    97047D0C-FA07-452C-A6EB-68C703229D61.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 40F320A9-4B6A-4F0B-9BF3-0C44BA33F156.jpeg
    40F320A9-4B6A-4F0B-9BF3-0C44BA33F156.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 16
Glad to hear this - after 11 pages :smile:

will scroll back through rest when a mo then follow avidly - have built up a few old bikes though never done a paint job.

(many new bikes leave me cold - just look at them and think "why"?)

Top Bottom