Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Regarding inner tubes...
They only need replacing in extreme circumstances. Like a ripped off valve, huge gash or when changing to different sized tyres.
You can almost fit an endless supply of patches on a tube before it becomes a liability.
No need to replace 'em over a couple dinky little holes :smile:
Now that I've got some decent patches that's what I've been doing, the ones I had from Asda were terrible and I lazily just bought new tubes instead of a better repair kit :whistle:

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I'm looking about at RD's and trying to figure out what cage I need, I believe @raleighnut touched on that briefly.

I had a fiddle with my RD (Shimano Acera) to try and index the gears somewhat and gain at least one other gear.

I realised that even after fully loosening and tightening the limiter screws, I could only push the RD about halfway across the cassette. Is this because the RD is knackered or it's the wrong cage?

I want to make sure I'm buying the right RD, I've seen that you need to do a sum and the example was if your drivetrain has a 44-22 chainring on the front and a 32-11 cassette on the rear, then...
[44-22] + [32-11] = 43 and thats how you figure out what cage you need.

My new cassette is 11-30 (tell me if this is ok or if I should reconsider) and I believe my chainrings on the front are 28t, 38t, 48t - again I remember someone mentioning this somewhere along the thread

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I'm looking about at RD's and trying to figure out what cage I need, I believe @raleighnut touched on that briefly.

I had a fiddle with my RD (Shimano Acera) to try and index the gears somewhat and gain at least one other gear.

I realised that even after fully loosening and tightening the limiter screws, I could only push the RD about halfway across the cassette. Is this because the RD is knackered or it's the wrong cage?

I want to make sure I'm buying the right RD, I've seen that you need to do a sum and the example was if your drivetrain has a 44-22 chainring on the front and a 32-11 cassette on the rear, then...
[44-22] + [32-11] = 43 and thats how you figure out what cage you need.

My new cassette is 11-30 (tell me if this is ok or if I should reconsider) and I believe my chainrings on the front are 28t, 38t, 48t - again I remember someone mentioning this somewhere along the thread
So my DT capacity should be 39...

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

What do you mean "push"? As in manually with your hand or using the shifter?

Acera should work perfectly well with your set up. Used one myself for a few years and had no issues.
I can't say I've ever measured or numbered up anything relating to gearing, but then again I've always stuck with MTB type rear dérailleurs and they work with pretty much everything.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

What do you mean "push"? As in manually with your hand or using the shifter?

Acera should work perfectly well with your set up. Used one myself for a few years and had no issues.
I can't say I've ever measured or numbered up anything relating to gearing, but then again I've always stuck with MTB type rear dérailleurs and they work with pretty much everything.
Both, it just won't go any further than the middle...

I ran the photo of my RD through google lens and it told me it was an Acera M360 7/8 Speed. Maybe that's why?

I'm going to have another look tonight. Not keen on putting on a brand new cassette with everything else as is though. It's so shiny!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Both, it just won't go any further than the middle...

I ran the photo of my RD through google lens and it told me it was an Acera M360 7/8 Speed. Maybe that's why?

I'm going to have another look tonight. Not keen on putting on a brand new cassette with everything else as is though. It's so shiny!
Take the limit screws out then try pushing the mech across by hand*, will it now achieve full travel. an Acera should cope with that range of cassette/chainrings as AFAIK Shimano only make them in long cage.

* don't lose them as they'll need to go back in before you ride the bike.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Take the limit screws out then try pushing the mech across by hand*, will it now achieve full travel. an Acera should cope with that range of cassette/chainrings as AFAIK Shimano only make them in long cage.

* don't lose them as they'll need to go back in before you ride the bike.
I'll try that later and let you know! It is an old Acera though... Not sure what year.

& I've been having a look online and it seems they do SS (Short Cage), GS (Medium Cage) and SGS (Long Cage)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'll try that later and let you know! It is an old Acera though... Not sure what year.

& I've been having a look online and it seems they do SS (Short Cage), GS (Medium Cage) and SGS (Long Cage)
Yep Shimano make those 3 lengths of rear derailleur but not all models are available with different lengths, some models are specific to different uses or different 'types' of bike, I've never seen 105 in SGS but they're available in SS and GS likewise Ultegra.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Yep Shimano make those 3 lengths of rear derailleur but not all models are available with different lengths, some models are specific to different uses or different 'types' of bike, I've never seen 105 in SGS but they're available in SS and GS likewise Ultegra.
Yeah, that's what I've also seen, can't seem to find a Sora in SGS but I haven't looked too hard today.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Right, so I took out the limiter screws and was able to move the RD across to the second largest ring.
I think I found the actual problem, by tightening the cable with the barrel adjusters on the downtube and RD.

Put the limiter screws back in and adjusted them accordingly and wahlah I was able to change up and down gear relatively easily and to gears that I previously couldn’t get to. The only one I can’t use is the largest ring on the cassette. I’ve only tested this on my work stand so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow morning to see how it copes on the road...

Top Bottom