Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
14 and a half stone because of lockdown, currently trying to get down to 13st. region hah!

100 psi then!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

Nope. Chrina's are more suited to skinny tyres on lighter weight bikes.
Your Landcruisers would technically fit but they'd bulge heavily at the sides and the bike would handle horribly as a result.
Ryde Sputniks are better suited to your bike but they're probably overkill in the strength stakes. I use them myself and I've no complaints but they're heavy buggers.
I'm just over 10 stone and run my landcruisers at around 30psi and even that is a little hard at times. Best way to find your ideal pressure is pump the tyres up nice and hard and then keep lowering the pressure till you find a nice compromise between comfort and ease of pedalling.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Your Landcruisers would technically fit but they'd bulge heavily at the sides and the bike would handle horribly as a result.
Ryde Sputniks are better suited to your bike but they're probably overkill in the strength stakes. I use them myself and I've no complaints but they're heavy buggers.
I'm just over 10 stone and run my landcruisers at around 30psi and even that is a little hard at times. Best way to find your ideal pressure is pump the tyres up nice and hard and then keep lowering the pressure till you find a nice compromise between comfort and ease of pedalling.
They're wider at 20mm than the ones fitted 19mm, it's a touring bike not an MTB.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Thanks Vantage, I’ll try that :smile: Thanks @raleighnut too, big difference 1mm makes?! Speaking of MTB’s, I want one of them too, but not yet, gotta wrap me head round this and then I’ll probably end up buying a brand new MTB for doing the odd few trails, there’s a decent little track near me that was built by council but is now abandoned, still gets used like.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yep, too thin for 700 X 38c landcruisers.
I imagine the vbrake mount spacing would be too wide for those rims too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, too thin for 700 X 38c landcruisers.
I imagine the vbrake mount spacing would be too wide for those rims too.

1593831310736.png

These are the rims that he has at present, are you just having a laugh or being an idiot

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's no need for that.
I missed the picture Ryan posted of his rim and just went off that he said they were zac 2000's. Looked up those rims and the sizes stated that they were 19mm internal. Unless I read it wrong.
But yep, Ryan has 38c landcruisers fitted.
Yep sorry bout that, it just got to me that he was thinking about wider rims (from the 19s on the bike) I really don't know who would fit 38s on a classic tourer though, 28s top although I've seen em with 32s fitted :crazy:

Looking up the branding I've managed to find out that they are Rigida rims (now Ryde) Zac 2000's - it said https://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/ are distributors but I can't find anyone selling them. Worth knowing if I fancy replacing like for like :smile:
You can buy Zac 2000 rims (current ones - no idea if there have been changes) at Taylor Wheels - despite the name they are german.
https://www.taylor-wheels.com/
They also do complete builds with Zac 2000s.
I bought a pair of Zac19 complete wheels from Taylor wheels with quality Deore hubs.
Came out at about £100.
Good company - I can recommend them.
A pity that despite their varying builds they never seem to use Sputnik rims. No idea why not.
I agree with your idea of buying wheels where, if you like the set-up, hubs and rims, you can just replace the rims when needed - I have the idea that many folk just chuck the lot when the rims wear through or run the hubs into the ground without maintaining them.

Survivor Bikes

Looks like I'll be spending this month cleaning up the existing parts I intend to keep as I've been paid but bloody bills have scuppered my hopes of getting some new parts in! :cursing:
I know that feeling shipmate! If you use a metal polish with a sealing ingredient, like Autosol for example, you’ll get a good few seasons out of the existing steel components. I use an industrial product, but my classic car buddies swear by Autosol.

Top Bottom