Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Hi everyone, thread (and life) update... this project is going to be put to the side and worked on when I have the spare cash and time - the reason being a much larger project has come up.
Somehow, my girlfriend & I as first time buyers have managed to get a house during these strange times. It is need of some modernisation but was a steal!

I don't suppose anyone knows of any decent house renovation/modernisation forums?! :laugh::laugh:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
No, but keep the chain clean and oiled. :biggrin:

Hi everyone, thread (and life) update... this project is going to be put to the side and worked on when I have the spare cash and time - the reason being a much larger project has come up.
Somehow, my girlfriend & I as first time buyers have managed to get a house during these strange times. It is need of some modernisation but was a steal!

I don't suppose anyone knows of any decent house renovation/modernisation forums?! :laugh::laugh:
afraid not - congratulations.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Another site worth taking a look at for parts is bankruptbikeparts.co.uk

Also you mentioned a bike repair stand? Well this isn't a stand (its a lot cheaper) but take a look... might be worth considering if you do your repairs in the garage maybe? I have a similar one myself. One advantage is that you don't have any support legs to trip over!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PedalPro...029286&hash=item521a4b10f6:g:2JwAAOSw7tNcm7R2

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Another site worth taking a look at for parts is bankruptbikeparts.co.uk

Also you mentioned a bike repair stand? Well this isn't a stand (its a lot cheaper) but take a look... might be worth considering if you do your repairs in the garage maybe? I have a similar one myself. One advantage is that you don't have any support legs to trip over!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PedalPro...029286&hash=item521a4b10f6:g:2JwAAOSw7tNcm7R2
Thanks Kempstonian!
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to use the wall-mounted stand :sad:

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

What tyres tubes does everyone use/recommend?
I mentioned before I've been using Schwalbe Land Cruisers and am now using Continental tubes
(https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-inner-tube?sku=5360054064)

I went for a ride yesterday and went down a light gravel track and came up with (at first thought) a puncture, but then thought it might have been where the tube burst due to a pothole or uneven ground? The track is full of them as well as a few larger stones within said potholes and scattered around.

Luckily the track ended at my destination so I could repair it in the garage there.

It got me thinking, could I run better tyres and tubes that can hold up against punctures and bursts better?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I don't think you'll see much difference in tube manufacturers tbh.
You could run on Schwalbe Marathons for better puncture protection but they come at the cost of harsher ride quality according to numerous reports.
You might just have had a bit of bad luck.
I've been running lightweight slick tyres for the best part of 1000 miles on various surfaces (road/trail) and not had a single flat yet. The very exact same tyres I ran on a different bike previously and swore the bloody things were cursed as I had that many punctures.
It's luck of the draw mostly.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I don't think you'll see much difference in tube manufacturers tbh.
You could run on Schwalbe Marathons for better puncture protection but they come at the cost of harsher ride quality according to numerous reports.
You might just have had a bit of bad luck.
I've been running lightweight slick tyres for the best part of 1000 miles on various surfaces (road/trail) and not had a single flat yet. The very exact same tyres I ran on a different bike previously and swore the bloody things were cursed as I had that many punctures.
It's luck of the draw mostly.
Might just get the Marathons, it's niggling me enough already that I can only buy parts now and then, let alone having to repair punctures/buy new tubes. On my second set of tubes in less than 3 weeks :cursing:

Although, I bought a parktool puncture repair kit and it's held up really well :biggrin:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There's a bunch of different model marathons with varying puncture protectiveness (is that even a word?)
Someone more knowledgeable than I will likely be along to explain the differences.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

There's a bunch of different model marathons with varying puncture protectiveness (is that even a word?)
Someone more knowledgeable than I will likely be along to explain the differences.
Looking at schwalbe’s website, they describe them as having less or more puncture resistance. Marathon plus tours are described as “flat-less”

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

So it turns out there was a tiny piece of glass wedged in my tyre, unseen to the naked eye looking at the tyre. Also couldn't be felt when running fingers inside the tyre.

When I stretched the tyre a little around where there was a small nick, there it was just chilling waiting to puncture another tube.

Removed with a pair of tweezers and it was about the size of a grain of rice...

Hopefully no more punctures!

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I've also purchased a cassette and tools to change it over - next items to buy next month will be RD (Shimano Alivio 9spd) and maybe a new crankset from Spa :biggrin: figured out finances last night and I'm sure I can squeeze a few bits in ;)

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

It was one of those little bar stewards that lead me to believe my tyres were cursed!
They're evil!
I wasn't far off contemplating if this project is worth it if I have to repair my tube every week or buy new ones every 2! Thank god I found that spec of glass :sweat:

Top Bottom