Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Aye they get embedded and then the action of 'cyclic'pressure as the wheel rotates pushes em further in til psssst. :cursing:
I patched up but they were asda patches so have not held, just ordered a new tube to save myself the hassle :smile:

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Did you 'roughen up' the tube and allow the glue/vulcanising solution to dry properly before applying the patch?
Yep, followed instructions as I read up online, on the packet, and advice given by my father in law who even had a crack at it whilst I was at work. Left the solution 5-10 mins to dry first and then applied patch. Our verdict was bc it’s a cheap kit the patches couldn’t handle the pressure :sad: I’m looking forward to the new tube coming though, it’s a continental and the reviews seem ok, if it works well I’ll order 2 more as spares

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, followed instructions as I read up online, on the packet, and advice given by my father in law who even had a crack at it whilst I was at work. Left the solution 5-10 mins to dry first and then applied patch. Our verdict was bc it’s a cheap kit the patches couldn’t handle the pressure :sad: I’m looking forward to the new tube coming though, it’s a continental and the reviews seem ok, if it works well I’ll order 2 more as spares
Once it's constrained by the tyre casing there isn't any pressure on the patch, I've got patched tubes in my wheels with stupid tyres (Continental Grand Prix Supersonic 700c x 20) that I need to run at near max pressure to avoid 'pinch flats' max is 170 PSI and yes my track pump will go that high with a bit of effort.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Once it's constrained by the tyre casing there isn't any pressure on the patch, I've got patched tubes in my wheels with stupid tyres (Continental Grand Prix Supersonic 700c x 20) that I need to run at near max pressure to avoid 'pinch flats' max is 170 PSI and yes my track pump will go that high with a bit of effort.
No idea then, got a new tube anyway so I’ll get that fitted this weekend or Monday whenever it arrives.

My father in law was telling me that I shouldn’t be pumping up to max? The tyre wall says to pump to 85psi max, I was usually around 80ish (I only have a small portable pump at the moment) and didn’t have any problems until my puncture and there’s plenty of uneven bits of tarmac etc that I’ve ridden over recently with no problems.

I’ve read up online it’s ok but he’s saying he never does to avoid blowouts. Who do I believe? :huh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No idea then, got a new tube anyway so I’ll get that fitted this weekend or Monday whenever it arrives.

My father in law was telling me that I shouldn’t be pumping up to max? The tyre wall says to pump to 85psi max, I was usually around 80ish (I only have a small portable pump at the moment) and didn’t have any problems until my puncture and there’s plenty of uneven bits of tarmac etc that I’ve ridden over recently with no problems.

I’ve read up online it’s ok but he’s saying he never does to avoid blowouts. Who do I believe? :huh:
Tyre pressure is down to personal preference, tyre size and weight, there has been a change in rim design though to 'hooked' rims to cope with higher pressures. Older rims were straight sided on the inside and they don't grip the bead so cannot hold very high pressures.

If your tyre says 85 Max then 80 is plenty high enough and going by that Max I'd say a 32mm tyre.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Tyre pressure is down to personal preference, tyre size and weight, there has been a change in rim design though to 'hooked' rims to cope with higher pressures. Older rims were straight sided on the inside and they don't grip the bead so cannot hold very high pressures.

If your tyre says 85 Max then 80 is plenty high enough and going by that Max I'd say a 32mm tyre.

I'd use this as a guide with a note that both tyres support the weight with a roughly 55% rear 45% front weight distribution

1593779914530.png

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

I noticed this on the rim when looking at it, this is the Dutch sizing right?

Attachments

• 5B069FEB-4D05-4FAC-948B-CF907894E0A0.jpeg
    5B069FEB-4D05-4FAC-948B-CF907894E0A0.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Nah that's the ERTO size 19x622 for the rim the tyre size is 700c but the Dutch would say it was a 28" tyre (despite that being a smaller wheel the a 27" British rim)

26" is the worst though, there are 5-6 different size wheels all quoted as a 26" tyre.
Looking up the branding I've managed to find out that they are Rigida rims (now Ryde) Zac 2000's - it said https://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/ are distributors but I can't find anyone selling them. Worth knowing if I fancy replacing like for like :smile:

Top Bottom