Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Spacing is different on 9 speed Dura-Ace cassettes*, the DT shifters will however work on an 8 speed cassette with a redundant click on the shifter as does my set up with Dura-Ace 8/9 speed bar end ones

* Shimano first launched 9 speed on DA but they decided the Cassette spacing was too wide for the rear axle/hub to cope with so they narrowed it when they launched 9 speed in 'lesser' groupsets. It is one of the historical anomalies in the Shimano range of 'cross groupset' compatibility Mind you 9 speed DA is 20+ yrs old now.
So I’d need an 8 speed cassette then? Not 9?

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Okay so here are a couple of pics of where I’ll put the DT shifters, ft. my flat tyre.

I’m assuming there’s another braze on mount underneath the cable stop as that’s what was under the left one.
do I just need to try and clean them up or can I buy new rust free ones?

Attachments

• A7838974-1983-443B-AAAA-662CCD00B07B.jpeg
    A7838974-1983-443B-AAAA-662CCD00B07B.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2F9D5BCC-7EB1-4F88-8A07-FFBCD57BC9D7.jpeg
    2F9D5BCC-7EB1-4F88-8A07-FFBCD57BC9D7.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 7ED1B74F-5F88-4884-837B-AB89D3ED6216.jpeg
    7ED1B74F-5F88-4884-837B-AB89D3ED6216.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 16

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Give the mounts a polish, put a dab of grease on and your DT shifters will bolt straight on.
The mounts tend to be brazed to the frame or are available as mounts brazed to a clamp for frames without the mounts. Yours are fine though.
Between the shift lever and the mount there's a spacer thingybob but that's supplied with the shifters.
9 speed shifters are indexed to suit 9 speed cassettes. Simples as dimples.
One more thing, with DT shifters you lose the ability to tweak cable tension at the shifter...no barrel adjuster there. With that in mind, steer clear of the shimano 'shadow' rear dérailleurs as they too are minus a barrel adjuster. Been there, done that. :banghead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Give the mounts a polish, put a dab of grease on and your DT shifters will bolt straight on.
The mounts tend to be brazed to the frame or are available as mounts brazed to a clamp for frames without the mounts. Yours are fine though.
Between the shift lever and the mount there's a spacer thingybob but that's supplied with the shifters.
One more thing, with DT shifters you lose the ability to tweak cable tension at the shifter...no barrel adjuster there. With that in mind, steer clear of the shimano 'shadow' rear dérailleurs as they too are minus a barrel adjuster. Been there, done that. :banghead:
Nice one! What do you mean by ‘shadow’ shimano rear derailleurs? Is that the model name?

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Nice one! What do you mean by ‘shadow’ shimano rear derailleurs? Is that the model name?
Oh yeah just googled them, nah I’ll be okay I’m not looking for an all black RD, I want as much silver/chrome as I can get on this :becool:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Shimano released a series of rear mechs that had an extra hinged plate which places the top jockey wheel lower in order to clear the sprockets of these huge cassettes (36t upwards) now common.
For some stupid reason they neglected to fit barrel adjusters to them. Probably because most modern shifters have adjusters built into them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All except 9 speed Dura-Ace which have a wider spacing between the cogs. They also have completely separate cogs and spacers unlike the others where most are connected together, this was to give the option to build 'custom' blocks. It is well obsolete now and not only are the cogs rare but NOS examples are eye wateringly expensive. I was lucky in that Martin at Websters Cycles had one of the DA 8s with the same spacing and sold it to me for the original price (still very costly but not wallet wrenching)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
BTW this is the 7700 series I'm referring to

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Shimano released a series of rear mechs that had an extra hinged plate which places the top jockey wheel lower in order to clear the sprockets of these huge cassettes (36t upwards) now common.
For some stupid reason they neglected to fit barrel adjusters to them. Probably because most modern shifters have adjusters built into them.

FYI
The Shimano 'Alivio' shadow 9 speed rear derailleur DOES have a barrel adjuster.
I think that's the only one though.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

He's planning on fitting DA downtube shifters (Shiny Aluminium :becool:)
Depends what my budget is at the time really, I like the look of both the Sunrace and DA DT shifters...

So cassette wise, you're saying 9-speed Shimano 7700?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends what my budget is at the time really, I like the look of both the Sunrace and DA DT shifters...

So cassette wise, you're saying 9-speed Shimano 7700?
Best to stick to the same series unless like me you're an inveterate 'fettler' but the advantage with Shimano DT shifters (bar end too) is you can switch the indexing off and use them in friction mode.

Top Bottom