Dawes Horizon Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you have a peach there, ill have a look at the parts on mine if you have no luck sourcing anything.

its a brilliant bike, stable as you like with a full load of shopping/panniers.

its as close to a do it all (minus the racing) utility bike as you can get. I actually like it more than the galaxy I used for a weekend. its more flexible with the wider range of tyres for multi surface journeys (just my opinion obviously)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RyanOP

you have a peach there, ill have a look at the parts on mine if you have no luck sourcing anything.

its a brilliant bike, stable as you like with a full load of shopping/panniers.

its as close to a do it all (minus the racing) utility bike as you can get. I actually like it more than the galaxy I used for a weekend. its more flexible with the wider range of tyres for multi surface journeys (just my opinion obviously) View attachment 533365
View attachment 533366
Thank for the compliment uphill :okay: I'm visiting my girlfriend's uncle who claims to have a shed full of parts and is pretty savvy with fixing up bikes.
I live in Hull and he picks up tatty bikes from drug dealers/cr*ckheads that have thrown them in bushes or even into drains (of course making sure they're not reported stolen first) and fixes them up for either personal use or loans to friends and sells the odd one too.

Hopefully, he can help me out with exactly what my issue is with the drivetrain and I might get some mates rates parts from him!

Thanks for the offer though, if I struggle anywhere I'll let you know. Are those mudguards original or did you buy them? Need some of them myself...

Also, what brakes and brifters are you using?

I agree with you on the tyres, been using mine to and from work over tarmac, loose gravel, the odd patch of mud and grass and they've been fine. I've also noticed that in the rain, the nobbly bits on the side actually fling some of the water sideways rather than up my back. Still get a little off of the centre tread though, hence the need for mudguards!

Thank for the compliment uphill :okay: I'm visiting my girlfriend's uncle who claims to have a shed full of parts and is pretty savvy with fixing up bikes.
I live in Hull and he picks up tatty bikes from drug dealers/cr*ckheads that have thrown them in bushes or even into drains (of course making sure they're not reported stolen first) and fixes them up for either personal use or loans to friends and sells the odd one too.

Hopefully, he can help me out with exactly what my issue is with the drivetrain and I might get some mates rates parts from him!

Thanks for the offer though, if I struggle anywhere I'll let you know. Are those mudguards original or did you buy them? Need some of them myself...

Also, what brakes and brifters are you using?

I agree with you on the tyres, been using mine to and from work over tarmac, loose gravel, the odd patch of mud and grass and they've been fine. I've also noticed that in the rain, the nobbly bits on the side actually fling some of the water sideways rather than up my back. Still get a little off of the centre tread though, hence the need for mudguards!

Evening @RyanOP

the guards are SKS, and we’re fitted to the bike when I bought it second hand

the shifters are 3 x 8 Shimano flightdeck, work perfectly still

I’ve updated the Oryx brakes with a newer version and they work well

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Evening @RyanOP

the guards are SKS, and we’re fitted to the bike when I bought it second hand

the shifters are 3 x 8 Shimano flightdeck, work perfectly still

I’ve updated the Oryx brakes with a newer version and they work well View attachment 533406
View attachment 533407
Slightly envious of those brifters! I have the exact same ones but they’re all stuffed up to the point the logo is just about visible and the hoods have tears and a couple of chunks of material missing :sad:
I haven’t been able to find any online and as much as they work okay I want them to look like new... any suggestions?

What size guards did you buy? I’m assuming I’ll just need the same as I’m on 700x38c wheels and my frame is very similar to yours. Reynolds 520?

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Slightly envious of those brifters! I have the exact same ones but they’re all stuffed up to the point the logo is just about visible and the hoods have tears and a couple of chunks of material missing :sad:
I haven’t been able to find any online and as much as they work okay I want them to look like new... any suggestions?

What size guards did you buy? I’m assuming I’ll just need the same as I’m on 700x38c wheels and my frame is very similar to yours. Reynolds 520?
**scuffed up brifters**

the guards were already on the bike when I bought it, I think there are some shifters in the for sale thread, maybe not flightdeck but similar

the frame is indeed 520, it’s not a light bike but it makes no difference when you have a full load

I use mines for most utility cycling and it does it well

best of luck with the rebuild

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

the guards were already on the bike when I bought it, I think there are some shifters in the for sale thread, maybe not flightdeck but similar

the frame is indeed 520, it’s not a light bike but it makes no difference when you have a full load

I use mines for most utility cycling and it does it well

best of luck with the rebuild
Oh yeah, sorry!:rolleyes:

I never even knew there was a for sale thread on here so thank you for mentioning that!
I've only done some light reading on here so far and of course posting in this thread.

I got a puncture in my front tyre this morning so will have to repair that tonight, probably caused by a local degenerate smashing a beer bottle on the paths I use; as I've been dodging the clearly visible patches of shattered glass, one piece must've got me today :angry:

As vantage said Ryan, I'd stick with 9 speed triple - nothing more needed for touring and general use.
There is also an economical 12-36 rear cassette in 9 speed which should get you up pretty much anything.
Kinda related to that, re buying bits, the likes of chain reaction and wiggle aren't too interested in sensible old stuff these days.
Spa as mentioned are great.
I would also check out.
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/

(in Germany)

Since the pound went wobbly their prices aren't as hot as they used to be, but you can still often save a few pounds per bit on each item,which at least for me usually more than offsets the courier charge. The courier service is excellent - often as fast/faster than some pure UK suppliers.

But one of the great things about Rose is that they still sell lots of sensible down to earth stuff, major components, bits and bobs.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

As vantage said Ryan, I'd stick with 9 speed triple - nothing more needed for touring and general use.
There is also an economical 12-36 rear cassette in 9 speed which should get you up pretty much anything.
Kinda related to that, re buying bits, the likes of chain reaction and wiggle aren't too interested in sensible old stuff these days.
Spa as mentioned are great.
I would also check out.
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/

(in Germany)

Since the pound went wobbly their prices aren't as hot as they used to be, but you can still often save a few pounds per bit on each item,which at least for me usually more than offsets the courier charge. The courier service is excellent - often as fast/faster than some pure UK suppliers.

But one of the great things about Rose is that they still sell lots of sensible down to earth stuff, major components, bits and bobs.
Thanks @Blue Hills - looking at the Spa website and the ROSE site I'm tempted by the Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters - I know @Vantage mentioned previously, think it'll be cheaper and easier and I've come around that it would actually look cooler to have them :becool:

Thanks for the detail on the 12-36 rear cassette too (I believe you're referring to the Shimano CS-HG400 9-Speed?) I've added it to my wishlist for next month where I can hopefully get a few bits.

Agreed, I'm going to stick with the 9 speed :okay:

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Thanks to everyone thus far for their input, you've all be very helpful and I've learnt a thing or two! I look forward to getting to work on this next month and showing off the results :biggrin:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
DuraAce? £60!:eek:

I've no experience of those, however I've been using SunRace shifters for almost a year with no real issues.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/sunrace-r91-9-spd-down-tube-shifters-braze-on-pair/
As much as I live the simplicity of DT shifters I will add a word of caution...
They (at least mine are) are an absolute pain in the backside to index. Overshifting is a requirement and as far as I'm aware, it's just something DT users get used to.
It's a case of shifting one gear higher than you'd like and then then shifting back down again to the gear you want.
Multiple shifts up are a blessing though when a steep hill rears its ugly head.

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

DuraAce? £60!:eek:

I've no experience of those, however I've been using SunRace shifters for almost a year with no real issues.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/sunrace-r91-9-spd-down-tube-shifters-braze-on-pair/
As much as I live the simplicity of DT shifters I will add a word of caution...
They (at least mine are) are an absolute pain in the backside to index. Overshifting is a requirement and as far as I'm aware, it's just something DT users get used to.
It's a case of shifting one gear higher than you'd like and then then shifting back down again to the gear you want.
Multiple shifts up are a blessing though when a steep hill rears its ugly head.
Sounds like I need to get better at looking into parts that aren't too expensive! :laugh: I figured £60 was cheap compared to the brifters I was looking at but £24.99 is lovely!

That's alright, I'm sure I'll get used to it and its not that big of a deal when considering the cost-saving, practicality and the coolness factor.

I'll get a photo when I go on my lunch break of where they'd be fitted just so I can get advice on what I need to be able to mount them (or if I can just fit them straight to the tube) I have the holes there which currently house the cable stops.

in don't know the model number of the cassettebbut I think there is only one.
Seem
Thanks for the detail on the 12-36 rear cassette too (I believe you're referring to the Shimano CS-HG400 9-Speed?) I've added it to my wishlist for next month where I can hopefully get a few bits.

Thumbs up to 9 speed.
Don't know the name of that cassette but pretty sure there is only one.
The lack of an 11T would be considered a plus by many - many folk consider 11T to be a waste - wears too quickly.
Might be a useful exercise to compare Rose and Chain Reaction prices for it.

(of course your bike fettling would be even simpler if you went flat bar :smile: )

I will look out for an Horizon - I know they are highly regarded by many.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks @Blue Hills - looking at the Spa website and the ROSE site I'm tempted by the Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters - I know @Vantage mentioned previously, think it'll be cheaper and easier and I've come around that it would actually look cooler to have them :becool:

Spacing is different on 9 speed Dura-Ace cassettes*, the DT shifters will however work on an 8 speed cassette with a redundant click on the shifter as does my set up with Dura-Ace 8/9 speed bar end ones

* Shimano first launched 9 speed on DA but they decided the Cassette spacing was too wide for the rear axle/hub to cope with so they narrowed it when they launched 9 speed in 'lesser' groupsets. It is one of the historical anomalies in the Shimano range of 'cross groupset' compatibility Mind you 9 speed DA is 20+ yrs old now.

Top Bottom