Dawes identification help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No clues there then, that’s the very cheapest modern derailleur. I spent some time this afternoon fixing one of those on a Apollo. The fitting has been removed from the dropout which is a great shame. Could have been converted to a fixie at some time, then converted back using cheap components.

Some wheels like that were made from stainless, with chromed steel for the run-of-the-mill bikes. Lack of rust would be a clue, a fridge magnet would confirm if in doubt. Unfortunately, you have to book an appointment to stop with either type.

OP
OP
T

Timm92

Some wheels like that were made from stainless, with chromed steel for the run-of-the-mill bikes. Lack of rust would be a clue, a fridge magnet would confirm if in doubt. Unfortunately, you have to book an appointment to stop with either type.
They're magnetic and Seem to be rust free!

OP
OP
T

Timm92

Found what looks like a serial number. BS7551. If that helps anything

Attachments

• PXL_20210523_110734261.jpg
    PXL_20210523_110734261.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5
They're magnetic and Seem to be rust free!
That makes them the chromed type then. Heard it said that rusty rims give better braking, but suspect it's only marginal. Raleigh Twentys have similar rims - on mine I converted to aly wheels, primarily for the decent stopping power the bike now has, and for lightness. You could keep it all original and ride carefully on dry days, or convert to aly and make it a more practical steed for regular use. Best of luck :okay:

OP
OP
T

Timm92

That makes them the chromed type then. Heard it said that rusty rims give better braking, but suspect it's only marginal. Raleigh Twentys have similar rims - on mine I converted to aly wheels, primarily for the decent stopping power the bike now has, and for lightness. You could keep it all original and ride carefully on dry days, or convert to aly and make it a more practical steed for regular use. Best of luck :okay:
Interesting, I'll see how I get on. Thanks!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was thinking this, it looks older than the 80's catalogues I've been looking through!

I had a Dawes bicycle, which I bought (secondhand) around 1961, if I recall correctly, it had wheels similar to those in the photograph.

The gears on my bike were Huret (hope I have spelled that correctly).

Sorry, I don't have any photographs, or, other information.

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Serial number is a no-go, I'm afraid. Dawes records went up in flames in a factory fire. Dawes Cycle Heritage has catalogues, but a large gap between '55 & '76. Might be worth keeping an eye on?

I think it could be from the 50's . My Red Feather is NS which is 62 and my Double Blue is US and about 65. The S doesn't seem to change for years .
The rear dropout might not have been cut as not all frames had the mounting for the rear derailleur but used a clamp which slid into the opening for the wheel .

Looks like an original paint job - you could check catalogues for colour options to give an idea of the model? Dawes Heritage has catalogues online:

https://dawescycles.wordpress.com/catalogues/
I'm sorry to say that it looks like it has been repainted. The marks on the rear dropouts show that the paint was soft . The head badge rivets also look new . The Dawes name on the down tube should also be in script .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Take everything, and I mean everything, off the frame so it is just a bare shell. Then weigh it. That will give you a good idea if it's a 531 butted frame or something cheaper. That in turn may help identify, or at least eliminate, what model it might be. Also take note of the lugwork, which can be distinctive and another way of narrowing down what a mystery bike really might be.

CTony

Regular
I think it could be from the 50's . My Red Feather is NS which is 62 and my Double Blue is US and about 65. The S doesn't seem to change for years .
The rear dropout might not have been cut as not all frames had the mounting for the rear derailleur but used a clamp which slid into the opening for the wheel .
Hi,I’m a newbie here,Came across your topic what is NS and US are these letters followed by #stamped on seat lug? Thank You

Top Bottom