Dawes identification help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,I’m a newbie here,Came across your topic what is NS and US are these letters followed by #stamped on seat lug? Thank You
Hi,
The frame number stamped into the seat lug seems to be an earlier form , they later moved to the left hand rear dropout. The first letter changes whereas the letter S seems to be common on lots of bikes despite the year. I have found a couple of earlier exceptions.
I have based my dating on my two models the Red Feather and Double Blue. The Campag Gran Sport stopped being used in 1963 which I think equates to the letter N on the Red Feather and the Double Blue was last made in 1963/64 which would be U. I think that by using 2 letters per year and excluding O and Q you can get a rough idea of the age of the bike . Well that's my theory.

Last edited:

CTony

Regular
Hi,I’m a newbie here,Came across your topic what is NS and US are these letters followed by #stamped on seat lug? Thank You
Hmmm, I’m trying to date my Dawes which starts with RO on seat lug.In researching i found catalogs from (V-CC) they seem most helpful identifying some original parts on my bike.But,the bike is rough.when i’m done with probation period I’ll upload photos of Head badge I haven’t seen anything close to it.Than you For your time.

Hmmm, I’m trying to date my Dawes which starts with RO on seat lug.In researching i found catalogs from (V-CC) they seem most helpful identifying some original parts on my bike.But,the bike is rough.when i’m done with probation period I’ll upload photos of Head badge I haven’t seen anything close to it.Than you For your time.
The frame number being stamped on the seat post lug plus the RO letters seems to suggest an old frame . There was a picture of an old Dawes with similar stamping on Classic Rendezvous.

Top Bottom