dawes karakorum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
ive just seen a dawes Karakorum for sale its a 22 inch frame im 6ft1 and a 33 inside leg would the bike fit me well I like to tour but enjoy camping ive got a dave marsh 531 bike but the lowest gear are 30 front and 26 rear id like to go lower on the ratios but could I put any 8 speed triple crankset on the bike like a 22 32 42 or 24 34 44 don't want the expense of changing all the drive train and shimano hubs I have campag hubs on the dave marsh

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's really too small for you. I'm exactly the same size as you and use a Large or 23 1/2 size frame. I did buy a 22" old Bianchi once but it really wasn't comfortable long term.
Sure you could a triple on the the Dave Marsh but you'll need a new shifter and new FD

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Before saying a 22" frame is too small, the first thing to clarify is are we talking about a frame with a horizontal or sloping top tube? A 22" traditional road frame with a horizontal top tube in all likelihood will be a bit small for someone over 6 ft tall. However, if the 22" frame is a sloper, in reality it may be equivalent to an old-school style frame that might be a couple of inches larger. The best indications really with slopers are the height of the head tube and the virtual length of the top tube. Someone over 6 ft is likely to feel a bit cramped on a short top tube frame, and would ideally probably want one with a TT length close to 23 inches.

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
Before saying a 22" frame is too small, the first thing to clarify is are we talking about a frame with a horizontal or sloping top tube? A 22" traditional road frame with a horizontal top tube in all likelihood will be a bit small for someone over 6 ft tall. However, if the 22" frame is a sloper, in reality it may be equivalent to an old-school style frame that might be a couple of inches larger. The best indications really with slopers are the height of the head tube and the virtual length of the top tube. Someone over 6 ft is likely to feel a bit cramped on a short top tube frame, and would ideally probably want one with a TT length close to 23 inches.
it has a sloping top tube

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The 22" frame version is the largest one made. The basic dimensions are very similar to my 23 1/2"frame Raleigh Pioneer, although the Dawes has slacker head angle geometry. I'm just under 6ft and the Dawes would fit me OK based on the dimensions in the geometry chart. If the price was right, I'd take a punt on it myself.

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
The 22" frame version is the largest one made. The basic dimensions are very similar to my 23 1/2"frame Raleigh Pioneer, although the Dawes has slacker head angle geometry. I'm just under 6ft and the Dawes would fit me OK based on the dimensions in the geometry chart. If the price was right, I'd take a punt on it myself.
well I drove up from Lincoln to Darlington looked at the bike tried everything out wheels run true no play in the bearings has shimano deore groupset wtb rims pannier racks front and rear and 26 36 46 front and 11 32 rear 9 speed so I bought it the guy serviced it recently as well and has looked after it cost me £150

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
tried it bought it

Enjoy it

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sounds like a sensible purchase to me. Alloy frames don't appeal to me, but it looks good value. List price £699 new, so £150 is 21p in the pound of the cost of a new one, and if looked after by the previous owner will have way more than 21% of it's service life remaining. That's the way to buy bikes; pre-depreciated and with no VAT!

Top Bottom